British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 4 day trip coming up, and although I've got a neighbour looking after the cat, asking him to look after the fish would make it a bit complicated.

I've got mostly bettas, and a few minnows.

My first thought was to just leave them be, but I didn't know if that would be too long without food.
I thought I could feed them the morning of day 1, before I go, gone days 2 and 3, then feed them the evening of day 4.

But those "vacation feeders" or whatever they're called also came to mind. Are they any good? Would that work for the 4 days?

·
Registered
43 Posts
First off for a 4 day trip, I'd say your fish should be fine. The word seems to be that up to a week without food is OK for most species of adult fish. I just did a 4 day trip myself a couple weeks back and left all 7 tanks unfed. This included 3 bettas. I did come back to one dead pleco, but it wasn't lack of food given that he's an algae eater and the tanks not clean of algae.

Those vacation feeders do work for some fish. The Tetra gel type is better than the white pyramid and white treasure chest ones. The white ones sometimes don't dissolve properly, depending on water flow and acidity, plus the white stuff the food is embedded in can affect the water chemistry.

However I've tried the gel type with bettas before and they didn't touch it. I guess because mine are used to little pellets floating on top. The white type might work for bettas if the pellets floated to the top as the white stuff dissolved, but then a betta tank typically won't have much water flow, so they might not dissolve properly.

For longer trips I've had much better success with automatic feeders. But that's a pricier option. My favourite is the Rondomatic, which uses hoppers that can handle a mix of pellets, flake, wafers, etc. Unfortunately it's been discontinued.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Auto feeders definitely the way to go. Also, as Pacific mentioned, most adult fish should be able to be unfed for a week without issue. With fry or juvies, you might want to make sure they are fed more often. I'm using the Eheim feeders for vacations and they are great and reliable especially for pellets.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
definately leave it be and dont feed, they'll be fine. never let someone else feed your fish unless they are into the hobby aswell, doesnt matter how easy it is, or how simple you make it. i once went on vacation, had each feeding in a container labelled for the day (every second day) for two weeks, person who was doing it passed my place daily on their way to and from work. also added micro and macro root tabs throughout the tank so the plants stayed healthy. And the day before i mixed a fresh batch of Co2. I even said if you miss a day, throw the food out.

Came home two weeks later to a tank filled with brush and hair algae, green water and missing fish. This was right after a lengthy battle to stabilize the tank and got it to the point it was low maintnence, was so pissed off i quit maintaining the tank for like 8 months. I have a feeling they missed most of the feedings and decided to dump it all in.... I've missed feedings and changes before that with no swings or spikes in water parameters, it was heavily planted and properly buffered.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys :) I thought leaving them would probably be OK.
Right now I've got 6 tanks, so it would be a big hit to my wallet to buy 6 automatic feeders x_x Don't have any longer trips planned for a while, so don't really need them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts