British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I know this is wishful thinking, but I bought a 45gal pop up pond at a garage sale. It's just basically a rubber liner but the water pressure keeps the sides upright.

I rent, so digging into the ground is not an option, nor can my budget handle a hard plaster above ground project, so, I want to try this out. If it doesn't work out, then I haven't lost out on much.

I am wondering what kind of plants and fish can go into a little set up like this. I am going to surround it with potted plants to keep the grand babies and dogs out of it. lol

It does have a small pump for water flow as well.

Ideas???

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would be more concerned about animals eating your fish.

Reactions: Dou

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
There are lots of water plants available. I have pickerel weed, water iris, and another kind I don't know the name of. These are all winter hardy. Water hyacinth is a good summer plant, but I couldn't find any this year.

I went to PetSmart in Langley and got a few cheap goldfish and some 30 cent feeder rosey minnows. The goldfish usually survive the winters but not always. The minnows will be brought indoors in October.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Jouster, I am concerned about racoons, but at this point. I've never had one in my yard, they are usually in other peoples yards that have tree cover, our back yard is off a street.

Thanks for the info Tom, I was thinking of the little feeder gold fish, I used to have one in a 10 gallon pond yrs and yrs ago before I knew anything about gold fish. Lasted 2 yrs on my covered deck. My concern with plants is that I don't want something that will take over.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
In a pond that small nothing will really take over. Mostly pond plants are potted anyway. You probably will get a visit from raccoons. It helps to put rocks, flower pots, or drain pipes on the bottom to create hiding places for the fish.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Seems simple enough. Rules vary greatly depending on where one lives. BUT . . . Double-check to see that you are allowed to have such a setup in your yard. Some places are very flexible about such things; others, not so much. Some city bylaws may have restrictions - such as fencing, water depth, etc. And the owner you rent from may need to give his/her approval (in writing) in case, later, there is a liability issue of any kind on his/her property.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a lot of ideas for outdoor ponds. I have small garden and this summer I make solution to buy new pump for my garden. I had some experience with outdoor pond in my last home. The small pond with goldfish, but with time the fish started to die. So after that I decide to buy Little Giant for my garden. I found new article about this pump here https://thefiltermaster.com/best-pond-pumps/ on the next month I will buy Little Giant for my garden.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It may seem simple to you guys, but I'm not totally sure how to go about it. Our back yard is completely fenced in and there are no rules against ponds as long as they are not a permanent feature. That is why this rubber pop up seems like a good idea. I just don't know if I need dirt or rocks at the bottom, or if I should just use pots etc. I have a pump, but it is just moving water around the bottom. After filling it with water, I'm not sure how well it will work in my situation my patio slab is not level so one side dips a bit, so I also got a plastic plant pot with no drainage to try, but it won't have a pump.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would not use dirt.If you need to do water changes and if you are not filtering it.I would probably use a fountain or waterfall effect to move water and to areate the water.I would not put it in full sun to prevent algae and have fish that will eat the insects that it may attract.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used a 20 gallon tote. Gravel and extra aquarium plants. Started with 5 endlers and some cherry shrimp. The plants have all grown and fish are breeding. I still see the cherry shrimp, but don't know if they are breeding yet. A solar powered air pump with sponge filter for aeration.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm, that sounds interesting. I'm assuming you'll bring the endlers and cherry's in during the winter? I would kind of like something that can stay out all year.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, after a lovely bca member, helped me stock my pond with plants and fish, it turns out that the biggest issue is my darn dog! She LOVES veggies. Peas, carrots, lettuce and all types of fruit. So, i don't have a problem with her taking a drink (although she has her own water outside that i fill every morning) However, the beautiful floating plants that she gave me, made a lovely snack for my beagle!! I had not expected that. It still looks lovely, but I have to figure out a way to keep her out! Right now, i have it barricaded. LOL go figure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts