British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
soliciting recommendations for places that sell excellent smoked salmon or lox. thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I smoke salmon lol

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
do you sell it?
i would suggest the lonsdale key on the north shore.
there is an awesome fish market in there..

·
Registered
773 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did a google search for some places but most of them are online shippers. by recommendations i mean personal experience.

·
Registered
646 Posts
back when i was working on the RAV line on Cambie street, there was a surveyor who hustled smoked Salmon. His name was Tom and everyone said he was a crack head, but his fish was nice and fresh! it came professional packaged too! he would run around the job site during lunch hustling it to all the guys...good times.. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Hey Stu.

The best consistent high grade brand out there is Nanuk. I believe Choices and several vendors on Granville Island sell it for sure. The is another Norwegian brand that also produces a very high quality Gravlax. If you are looking for lox though, go with Nanuk brand. This comes from many years of experience working for Albion Fisheries :). I still have many contacts in the seafood industry.

Good luck on the hunt!

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
ROTFL! Stuart! You used to work for a seafood supplier and now you raise fish? Is there any chance that you lost your job because you were releasing captured salmon back into the wild on your breaks?
:)

(Edited to add: Not that I'm suggesting you were fired or anything.)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi Stu. next time you come to see Rich....take the lougheed hiway and just at 240th and lougheed at the edge of maple ridge on the left you will see bruces market. excellent.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Bruces Market (Seafresh Fish) also does his own smoking (I forgot about his product). They smoke product themselves and even have double smoked varieties (his products are more like a jerky consistency or an Indian Candy (nugget style). They are NOT a lox style product. But they do carry quality product indeed. They may even carry Nanuk brand. Just phone and ask. Here's the link

BTW, don't buy the cheap stuff and never buy the gift boxes in foil room temperature pouches. They are horrid :eek:.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
ROTFL! Stuart! You used to work for a seafood supplier and now you raise fish? Is there any chance that you lost your job because you were releasing captured salmon back into the wild on your breaks?
:)

(Edited to add: Not that I'm suggesting you were fired or anything.)
Yeah Maureen I've been around water and fish (edible and pet types) my entire life. I am also a water sign (Cancer). Go figure ;)!

Stuart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oceanmaster Foods in Maple Ridge. The lox and indian candy are wicked. I get them to smoke some of my sport caught fish every year.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Because alot of them are crap!
Sorry I disagree with this entirely, When I do my own it is oily. Mine is not crap. When you smoke or wind dry all the oils have to come out some how. It is is done naturally then there is no way to eliminate the oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts