British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like i have lots of naughty snails(haha...pond snails that love to "reproduce")...wonder if there is a effiecient way to reduce the amount of snails in my tank.

10g planted tank with zebra danios, neon tetras, shrimps and otto...plus like 9 assassin snails...been cutting back on the feeding and i had just added 6 outta 9 assassin snails in the tank.

should i get more assassin snails? because i do not want to add too much chemicals into the tank that might harm the livestocks in the tank(other than the reducing the amount of pond snails)...i have been manually taking some of the snails out, but seems like they like to lay their egg clusters all over the glass, plants and gravel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could try adding some dwarf loaches to the tank although I'm not sure if 10 gallons is enough space for them (they are pretty small so I'm sure it would be OK). They drastically reduced the snail population in my 30 gallon I think mostly by eating eggs. I think they will also snack on shrimp so keep that in mind as well.
Also, there are lots of members on here with puffers who would love to get their hands on some of your extra snails.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could try adding some dwarf loaches to the tank although I'm not sure if 10 gallons is enough space for them (they are pretty small so I'm sure it would be OK). They drastically reduced the snail population in my 30 gallon I think mostly by eating eggs. I think they will also snack on shrimp so keep that in mind as well.
Also, there are lots of members on here with puffers who would love to get their hands on some of your extra snails.
hmmm...dwarf loaches seem like a good way to reduce the snail population..but like u have stated, i have a small tank...and loaches might also make a meal outta my shrimps...and if i buy loaches, they like to strive in groups of 5 or so...and each reach max size of like 5/6 cm. small tank...thanks for replying tho...greatly appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Snails wont go away over night, with the 9 assassins they will rid the problem eventually. Soon enough you will have to add feeder snails or drop food for the assassins as they will eradicate the pond snails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nine assassin snails is a lot for a 10-gal tank. Although, they won't fix the problem overnight. I put three in a 10-gal tank and they wiped out the snail problem in a couple months. Nine would probably do the job faster, but then you have to feed the assassin snails or they will starve.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can speed the process up a bit by taking some of the snails out manually. Just put some sort of bait the snails like (algae tablet) on a small plate or something, come back in a bit and you should find a clump of them on the plate. Lift out and repeat.

·
Registered
743 Posts
secure a romaine leaf in the tank, they will flock to it. then remove the snails and feed them to the closest clown loach or puffer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts