British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giant Snakehead (channa micropeltes), a vicious indescriminating killing machine.

yeah.. thats what everyone says. but my 13" giant snakehead, refused to eat some 1-2" feeders I dropped in the other day as a treat. I thought they were too small for his likings so I dropped some bigger 3-4" feeders. he still rejected them. I guess there are some downsides to pellet training your monster fish.

anyone else have monster predators who rejects feeders?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
ooooohhhhhh yes.:) A lot of fish once on pellets don't care for the live stuff. I guess they feel that casually swimming to the top to get a pellet is a lot less work then catching a feeder. I still feed only once a month live feeders as a treat. My arrow does not care for them anymore but my datnoid,oscar and jack dempsey still like them. Maybe turn the lights in the tank off when you give feeders?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i last fed him feeders.. when he was about 4" quite a while ago. maybe thats why.

i somehow feel accomplished. i have tamed a "monster" some people say are untamable.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is what I do to "force" my fish to eat what I give them. I actually starve them. If your up for an experiment, you should starve him for 2-3 days. But, feeding feeders might actually be harmful because they may carry parasites. So just be happy that you tamed him :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i last fed him feeders.. when he was about 4" quite a while ago. maybe thats why.

i somehow feel accomplished. i have tamed a "monster" some people say are untamable.
I think you just answered your own question.But I heard ch. micropeltes go berzerko at 18"+...

This is what I do to "force" my fish to eat what I give them. I actually starve them. If your up for an experiment, you should starve him for 2-3 days. But, feeding feeders might actually be harmful because they may carry parasites. So just be happy that you tamed him :)
One should quarantine feeders for 2 weeks,at least.Personally,one month....As for experimenting,you could try starving them for 1 to 2 weeks.That is when the BEAST within the fish,emerges as in the Hoplias species,wherein an 18" hoplias starved for 2 weeks,ripped into 7" koi feeders and almost gored a 13" giant sh.

·
Registered
646 Posts
As for experimenting,you could try starving them for 1 to 2 weeks.That is when the BEAST within the fish,emerges as in the Hoplias species,wherein an 18" hoplias starved for 2 weeks,ripped into 7" koi feeders and almost gored a 13" giant sh.
I did that to my giant snakehead back in the Philippines. It ripped a catfish the same it's size. It was a pretty sight if you have a craving for some live Discovery channel action.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
yup....and bring popcorn......plus,be prepared to spend a small fortune on feeders.not 1" ones...not 2"....not 3"-4".....more like 7"...maybe even a 10"-13" p-bass;).
Lol! Agree with the large feeders.

Move aside Piranha 3D, Snakehead 3D is stepping up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL now I really want to go and get a school of 3" mini monsters.
then watch them grow up to become a school of terrifying monsters.

better yet. move to the tropics, and dig a moat around my house, and let loose a couple hundred GSH.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts