British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YAY!!! I'm finally getting dreadlocks!! After years of wanting to get them I will have a full head of wonderful dreads on Thursday! SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

On a different note, anyone go to the Xavier Rudd concert in Vancouver or Victoria? It was amazing! If you haven't listened to his music jump onto YouTube and search "Xavier Rudd Twist". You will be instantly hooked.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Congrats, you sound very excited about getting them. Do we get to see before and after pics? If done right dreadlocks can look very attractive on some people.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh for sure :) I'm thinking of doing a set of photos to show the steps but they might turn out too embarrassing to post, lol. They have to completely fluff up my hair before they can section and start back combing.

Hopefully I'm one of the attractive ones, lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'll be in Abby Thurs or Friday, if you see a gathering at the hair dressing place, it'll be your BCAquaria friends...lol

·
Registered
567 Posts
You should totally do a before & after pic of your hair.. that'd be pretty cool :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be in Abby Thurs or Friday, if you see a gathering at the hair dressing place, it'll be your BCAquaria friends...lol
Hahahaha I'll have to look out for the people in the windows peaking through;)

I'll definitely post before and after pics. My hair will be going from super long, blond, ultra curly to thick dreads with beads :)

G

·
and how do you keep them clean ??? just curious ... and to the guy who posted the embarrassing hair cut photo, i am still chuckling at the look on your face :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Silly question, but what if you don't like it? :p Can you change it back? Just wondering what people do with do's like dreadlocks when they get tired of it. Do you have to cut it all off and start over?
If my memory serves me right.. when you first get dreads you cannot wash it right away until the "locks" are set.. then you have to use a special shampoo to clean your hair.. and if you want to get rid of them, you have to cut it allll off.. I'm sure SophieThomas can correct me if I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
i think dreadlocks look cool but i've heard that mold and other nasties start to grow on and inside them

·
Registered
496 Posts
i think dreadlocks look cool but i've heard that mold and other nasties start to grow on and inside them
Mostly its just 'lint' and dust filtered from the air... I saw an episode of what not to wear where they cut a lady's (HUUUGE, 1.5" diameter) dreadlock off and it had a 'core' of dust :eek:

But I don't think this is the case for thinner dreads.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To answer the questions:

The method of dreadlocking that I am using involves dread wax, an organic vegan friendly bee wax and hemp oil based product, along with backcombing and palmrolling. This process takes about 6-8 hours.

If you want to remove the dreadlocks you can with a special shampoo that works to dissolve wax. You then have to arduously pick out the knots which takes about as long as it takes to put the dreads in- about 6-8 hours. Because of this some people choose to cut them out but that is not necessary.

You can wash your dreads regularly but if you apply wax while they are still wet then it will lock moisture inside resulting in some pretty stinky, rotting hair. To avoid this, you have to fully air dry or blow dry the locks, then apply the wax, then blow dry again. You don't really need the wax after the locks have set (about two months).

Essentially the gross dreads that people come across are a result of poor maintenance.

Hope I answered everyones questions!! :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
well when do we get to see the finnished product?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mostly its just 'lint' and dust filtered from the air... I saw an episode of what not to wear where they cut a lady's (HUUUGE, 1.5" diameter) dreadlock off and it had a 'core' of dust :eek:

But I don't think this is the case for thinner dreads.
That's gross, lol. There is this knarly picture that comes up on google of a guy whose hair has completely grown together into one big, festering mat.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts