British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning to get a new tank for shrimps this September, can someone teach me how to breed shrimp? preferably cherry shrimp

·
Registered
592 Posts
Nothing much to teach really. As long as you have a mix of males/females, and the shrimp have good, stable water parameters and plenty of food, it's only a matter of time before you get berried females really. Cherries especially breed often and easily (compared to other species of shrimp).

·
Registered
460 Posts
It will be easier to start with a good size group of them, like 30-40 of them. Plus all the good advices above.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I started with 5 cherry shrimp in my 8 gallon tank with 4 female endlers and one male endler. Within a short time, I had lots and lots of cherry shrimp and lots and lots of endlers. So, I added another tank!

I noticed that the cherry shrimp love plants. They love to hang from water lettuce. They also love to eat. I add Equilibrium to my water so that it's not quite as soft.

Let me know if you'd like some water lettuce for your shrimp. Water lettuce multiplies even faster than shrimp and endlers!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts

I noticed that the cherry shrimp love plants. They love to hang from water lettuce. They also love to eat. I add Equilibrium to my water so that it's not quite as soft.

Let me know if you'd like some water lettuce for your shrimp. Water lettuce multiplies even faster than shrimp and endlers!
really, they could hang around all day:)

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
im planning to get a new tank for shrimps this September, can someone teach me how to breed shrimp? preferably cherry shrimp
If you are going for EASY, don't go for Amano...
I tried once, and I got them to hatch and grow to about 0.5mm, and then they died... sigh...
the problem with Amano's are:
- they require salt water (or brackish water depending on what article you read)
- they require plankton because they are too small to eat any solids, plus they can't really swim (or more over they just float around, and can't walk on the bottom of the tank and grab food)
- they are SUPER tiny and float so it's takes A LOT of staring to figure out if they hatched.

I'm thinking of trying again, but the challenges are the following:
- need to keep the water relatively clean so that the water quality doesn't deteriorate (problem: conventional filters don't work 'cause they get sucked up)
- need some water movement so that the larvae can grab food (I'm not sure if they would survive a pump or a power head... I tried an air pump last time)
- need plankton (and I tried some from the store but didn't work... they seem to have nicer stuff now though...)

It's interesting to see how much 'resources' have been added to the web in just the past few years. Last time I tried there were only 2 reasonable articles now. Now there are tons, and some of them are very suspicious. How the describe the larvae don't match what I've observed.

I have two pregnant Red Cherry Shrimps (Wild version) right now. I think those are relatively easy to breed (Ask the guys who are selling them, http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/crus...imp-availability-updated-july-25-a-26/#post72, they seem to constantly have tons to sell! ;)).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I started with 5 cherries about 6 weeks ago. They are in a planted 15g with chili rasboras. At last count I had a minimum of 35. They breed without any difficulty at all. As has been said, add shrimp to water and wait. Done deal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts