British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time in the aquarium hobby, but I have a dilemma.

I am just about to set up my tank again after moving from Alberta to the central okanagan B.C. the place I am living now have a water softening system installed. I have never had one before and I am getting mixed responses as to how it will affect the fish.

I am going to have apistogrammas in the tank and they like softer water.

Is this type of water safe for the fish?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I read about this a awhile ago. You can probably find a lot more on line. Water softeners (exchange resins, salts etc.) supposedly have some unintended consequences on water chemistry. I don't have much experience with chemical softeners, but many people use ro water which actually removes alkali salts and purifies water. I remember the hard water in Kelowna and wanting to keep Rams alive 30 years ago

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hardness in water is from calcium or magnesium or compounds containing those atoms. Water softeners work by exchanging those calcium and magnesium ions for sodium (alot of the time, not always). I don't think sodium ions will affect any of your fish (especially if it's a marine tank) but if those ions do cause a problem you can always distill the water or de-ionize the water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts