British Columbia Aquariums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
colony style simply means you keep a group of fish in a species specific tank where adults spawn at will and the fry hatch out in the parents tank.
Other ways to breed include moving selected adults to a spawning tank, then removing them again after spawning. Or, you can use spawning mops, which are removed after spawning.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
less work involved....
very true!

With the other two methods I mentioned, you would use sanitized, bare bottom tanks with no shrimp, permanent plants or snails. At the end of each use, the tanks/tubs are cleaned out and then set up for the next cycle. Hatching is maximized, resulting in large numbers of fry.

I'm not a commercial breeder, nor do I have room for multiple hatching tanks. I do enjoy breeding, however, and earning a little extra to help pay for the food is also cool. So, even though I don't get as many babies this way, I do have babies continuously.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am interested, though I may not make it out to Coquitlam for atleast a week... If there are still some left I will definitely take a couple though :) How large are they at this point?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.