British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am holding some beautiful stingrays right now (mix of pure Black Diamonds and BD/Leos). I plan to raise a couple of these out to size and try breeding them. Within the next week or so I will completely redecorate this tank by adding some sand and a bit of driftwood, removing the divider, and adding some nice wild caught Brazilian Geos I got from Oliver Lucanus.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Gorgeous rays! They look fantastic on the dark bottom of the tank. Now tell us a little bit about the tank, lighting, and filtration. Tank looks wicked.....

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an update of the two pure BD's I kept, along with a bunch of Geophagus weeksii I got from Oliver Lucanus. There is also a pair of unidentified Geophagus I have raised up over the past year from juveniles I got from Fantasy Aquatics. Can anyone identify them?

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Here is an update of the two pure BD's I kept, along with a bunch of Geophagus weeksii I got from Oliver Lucanus. There is also a pair of unidentified Geophagus I have raised up over the past year from juveniles I got from Fantasy Aquatics. Can anyone identify them?

Rays look very fat already for ones that just arrived! Great quality.

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the compliments on the rays, they are indeed really nice. The other pair of pure BD's that came in are equally great, having the "big spot" look.

My pair are proving to be great eaters, so hopefully they grow fast and maybe one day breed if I am lucky.

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I kept two pure BD's of the original group imported in December. Added to that another two pairs of pure BD's. Here is a video of the three pairs of pure BD's eating Hikari singing carnivore pellets:

I took the video with a new i-phone, am not that impressed by the resolution. I expected better. I'll take another video of the rays sometime using a higher resolution camera. In any case, I think these rays are pretty nice looking.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
You never did give any details on that great tank setup, size, lighting, filtration etc. it looks huge!

·
Banned
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a 300 gallon Marineland tank, built in the wall, but using the standard Marineland stand and sump. I also have an Eheim 2260 filter. Finally, I have a 24/7 drip system running from a tap through a single stage coconut and carbon filter (same as used for drinking water) to remove chlorine; the drip goes direct into my sump and the sump has an overflow to a floor drain. In the event of a power outage I am okay this way. I use t-5 florescent lights and have multiple 200 watt heaters in my sump and corner overflows. The system works great and is very stable. I do add half a teaspoon of baking soda to the tank each day as a PH buffer, but that is about it. I really appreciate not having to do any water changes.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Awesome rays. They are stunning creatures, could watch em for hours! I would love to see some pics of the sump/filtration system. As soon as I get motivated, hoping to set up a drip system on my tank. Was thinking dripping directly into the tank, and overflow out of sump to sanitary drainage. Is there any advantage to dripping into sump?

·
ORIGINAL FORUM GANGSTER
2,313 Posts
One advantage is if the power goes out your not dripping cold water into the display

1 - 20 of 21 Posts