British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fraser Aquarium has four Longmouth Pipefish - Doryichthys heterosom in stock.

Information is non-existent on a google search, but they are either fresh or brackish fish. So perhaps a rare opportunity to get a demanding fish, so please do before I change my mind and go back for them ...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
i think there fresh.. it woul dbe a cool idea.. i just like more info before i dive into something

·
Registered
309 Posts
got this info after a long search. (its not mine)

they are a soft water fish apparently

...At the other end of the difficulty range is the Malayan Freshwater Pipefish (probably Doryichthys boaja). Like all pipefish, the main difficult here is feeding them. Pipefish, like their cousins the seahorses, will only take live foods unless they’ve been trained to do otherwise. Certainly wild-caught specimens will have little interest in wet-frozen foods and no interest at all in dried foods. Daphnia, brine shrimps and insect larvae will be required. Once settled, they may be weaned onto wet-frozen foods, but unless the retailer can demonstrate them feeding this way in front of you, don’t take it for granted. Only buy them if you can provide suitable live foods, for example from a garden pond.

its what i thought. i would assume they are very similar to saltwater pipefish.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, Longmouth Pipefish - Doryichthys heterosom is from the order sheet, there are over 200 different species of pipefish ranging from fresh to salt water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts