British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not a pleco kind of guy...but im going to assume that this is a good deal???

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
ooohhhh~~~
I remember someone on the forum that mentioned the fry stage for a zebra is the most fragile stage.. is it?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
:eek:the plecos pictured are definately not fry...
more like juvie to young adult...
$100 is a smoking deal.......:eek:

·
Registered
341 Posts
:eek:the plecos pictured are definately not fry...
more like juvie to young adult...
$100 is a smoking deal.......:eek:
Agreed, If I had an extra $1000 I would be all over buying 10 of those bad boys, unfortunetly I don't even have an extra $5, and for $5 I couldn't even buy food for these guys:(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good deal, but these fish take 3-4 years to reach maturity. and like to hide alot.. I seriously looked in to them a while back and yes the price is right but for the long haule they are quite a risky investment.
Also these fish are river fish, which means the thrive in fast flowing water.. and it needs to be kept fresh.. Planetcatfish has some info on them , or just google them.. they also have several simular look a likes.. and near the endangered species or at least protected species... can't remember every thing but the true zebra pleco's are one of most desired pleco of them all,, just time and money is your key..

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
how is $100 a good deal?
do they breed once in their lifetime, have 2 babies and then die?
i don't get what determines fish value :/

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
how is $100 a good deal?
do they breed once in their lifetime, have 2 babies and then die?
i don't get what determines fish value :/
I think it's cause they're extremely hard to breed, hard to find in the wild, seasonal breeders, and especially hard to raise in our water conditions! Correct me if i'm wrong Charles + Gary! LOL!

·
Registered
614 Posts
It is more like supply and demand. If enough people are willing to pay $300 for the fish, then that is what they are worth. Very few people are able to export them, this increases their value, at least until they are breed in large enough numbers to bring the price down.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Ahh.. just like how I look at people with Red Asian Arowana... I think the price can be worth it, but I wouldn't pay those prices, but most people who like them will! =)

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
Yup, there are many factors that determine price.

In the end, what it boils down to is that if someone is willing to pay $300 for a fish, then there will almost inevitably someone else willing to sell them that fish for $300.

There are some marine fish that sell in the $1000s and some Koi that are supposedly worth 10s, even over a $100,000. To me that's just nuts, but to each their own.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I saw a posting on aqua bid where a dude was selling his entire breeding stock zebra plecos for $11,000. 5 males 10 females. Remember that the fish are only half of the start up cost. If I had these guys I would have a sump, uv the whole nine yards.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts