British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So found a boat full of what looks like larvae or fry or what have you. It's not a quite "pond" in the traditional (or intentional!) sense, but more a pool of water in a derelict Fireball sailing dinghy.

Anyone able to identify these guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
Given their location in a standing pool of water - mosquito larvae would get my vote. Clearer pictures would help with the ID. Caddies fly usually build a case of small twigs, leaf shreds or tiny pebbles ... your pictures don’t show any casings around them.

Reactions: mikebike

·
Registered
900 Posts
Another way to tell is do they crawl around on the bottom of the boat ... or do they wriggle and sort of swim when you touch them. Caddis flies crawl around on rocks and twigs in streams/creeks ... that is not the behaviour of mosquito larvae, they are squiggle swimmers. Caddis fly have gills and don't need to come to the surface to breath, mosquito larvae do.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like it's mosquito larvae. That was actually my initial thought, but being so cold and seeing so few mosquitoes this time of year, I didn't think it was very likely. Thanks for the input, guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts