British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a (standard 4') 55G tank in my kitchen that needs a revamp. It's currently a high tech planted tank, but that's just not something I'm enjoying anymore.

I recently got back into tanganyikans with two young colonies of shellies. N. multifasciatus and L. hecqui, which I'm not expecting spawns from for at least a few months. I've kept J. transcriptus, N. multifasciatus and T. duboisi in the past, so I have some experience keeping and breeding tanganyikans.

As much as I would like to do a community tank, open water tangs are priced too high locally for me to be able to justify (around $40 CAD each) and local breeders seem to be nonexistent. In addition, I cannot justify another shellie colony right now, and I don't really want to relocate one of the existing colonies either. I think a species tank will be my best bet.

The tank will be filtered by an AC70 and two fluval canister filters. Decorated with sand and feather rock. The grow out system will likely include 1-2 standard 20G tanks, and either a 40G breeder or (another) 55G

These are the species I've been able to find available locally:

Julidochromis (any)
A. calvus
N. brichardi
Leleupi
N. cylindricus

Which would have the highest fry survival rate?

Which would allow for the largest breeding colony?

Would love to hear some firsthand experiences.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Brichardi are quite prolific but they will take over a large territory and eventually dominate a tank

Julie's are great because territories are smaller and fry survive well as long as there are no predators such as Leleupi who aside from eating invertebrates such as brine shrimp, will happily also eat fry. Furthermore leleupi can be very aggressive- I have 1 male and 2 females who barely get along in a 175g

Cylindricus are closely related to leleupi and share similar temperaments

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
What Fishman21 said. Totally agree...

If you want to keep the shellies, try find something like paracyps.. They are open water/rock dwellers. And very rare for them to eat frys.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had a prolific pair of julio ornatus and they dominated one end of a 6 foot tank, constantly lip locking with my dominant tropheus. They wouldn't tolerate any other julie's in the tank. I think paracyps would be fabulous with the shellies, but if you just want a single specie, brichardi would be cool.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I know I am knew to the Tang - gang but I agree with everything that has been said ... by getting suggestions and help from numerous forum experts I ended up with a tank that I am very happy with. I posted it's development and recent video to this forum (Tropheus / Petricolas / Trets ... it certainly is not a passive tank but the fish can all handle themselves and so far so good after 2 weeks.

I am working on another tank - Julies, Bichardi & Calvus ... once again not passive but not perpetual motion either.

My recommendation, listen to advice and you will end up with a tank you'll be very happy with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ask Fish Addicts what they have, and they can certainly get virtually anything ordered in for you, it might be worth the trip to Langley.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brichardi are quite prolific but they will take over a large territory and eventually dominate a tank

Julie's are great because territories are smaller and fry survive well as long as there are no predators such as Leleupi who aside from eating invertebrates such as brine shrimp, will happily also eat fry. Furthermore leleupi can be very aggressive- I have 1 male and 2 females who barely get along in a 175g

Cylindricus are closely related to leleupi and share similar temperaments
I think leleupi and cylindricus are out. I've heard varying reports on the temperament of leleupi, but the majority of them are in line with what you've said.

What Fishman21 said. Totally agree...

If you want to keep the shellies, try find something like paracyps.. They are open water/rock dwellers. And very rare for them to eat frys.
The shellies are likely going to be left in the 20g tanks they're currently in. They've done their landscaping and both groups seem to be very happy. Unfortunately, I haven't seen paracyps around at a reasonable price lately.

I had a prolific pair of julio ornatus and they dominated one end of a 6 foot tank, constantly lip locking with my dominant tropheus. They wouldn't tolerate any other julie's in the tank. I think paracyps would be fabulous with the shellies, but if you just want a single specie, brichardi would be cool.
I likely won't move the shellies from the tanks they're in currently. Both groups are thriving, and I haven't seen any other species (of shellie) that I'd really like to stock available locally.

I know I am knew to the Tang - gang but I agree with everything that has been said ... by getting suggestions and help from numerous forum experts I ended up with a tank that I am very happy with. I posted it's development and recent video to this forum (Tropheus / Petricolas / Trets ... it certainly is not a passive tank but the fish can all handle themselves and so far so good after 2 weeks.

I am working on another tank - Julies, Bichardi & Calvus ... once again not passive but not perpetual motion either. Down the road I would definitely like to try my hand at breeding petricolas.

My recommendation, listen to advice and you will end up with a tank you'll be very happy with.
I tried tropheus once and it didn't go too well. I'll chalk it up to equipment failure and a tank that was probably a little too small for a group of that size. Would love to know if you've got a local source (breeder?) for calvus. The calvus that Eric gets in are just too pricey for me to justify.

Ask Fish Addicts what they have, and they can certainly get virtually anything ordered in for you, it might be worth the trip to Langley.
Planning to be in as soon as his next shipment arrives! His stock is usually pretty picked over as far as Africans go after a couple weeks.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I've narrowed it down to either julies or brichardi. I've also got a 40G breeder that I could clear out, so maybe I'll just go with both??? I assume I wouldn't be able to stock more than a single pair of brichardi, or maybe two pairs of julies in there. As neat as calvus are, I'm hoping for a high fry survival rate in this tank, and the ones I've been able to find so far have been too expensive to be able to setup a colony.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in your plan but I do see paracyprichromis on Spencer Jack's list often. It may be a viable option. I've been tempted to try them but have never pulled the trigger on them yet.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to throw a wrench in your plan but I do see paracyprichromis on Spencer Jack's list often. It may be a viable option. I've been tempted to try them but have never pulled the trigger on them yet.
Unfortunately I haven't seen them on his list in the last while. Maybe I've just gotten unlucky and have missed them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I saw them a few weeks ago and then they disappeared. They always show up as tank raised or domestic and come and go off his list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts