British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night during a water change a small amount of water spilt on my router and maybe on the modem as well...everything is working fine now but would it be considered a fire hazard now???

i put prime, plant fertilizer and inject the tank with c02. so it's probably really bad to have that sitting on the chip board or mechinisms??

·
Registered
617 Posts
If it didn't fry immediately, and you are still using it (them) they're fine .
If you spill liquids on electronics , they should be shut down and thouroughly cleaned and dried before turning back on .... But it they were splashed while running , and not shut down, they should still be fine now . They would have dried out long before now. If it was going to short out , it should have done so as soon as it got wet .

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it happened around 6pm last night and they were both running at the time and are still running fine this morning. You guys eased my worries a little lol Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I wouldn't worry at all~ I always splash water over my power bar o_O i think I should be more concerned than you! LOL~

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not really worried about the water, more so the residue from the conditioner/c02/fertz that willl be left on the inside.

·
Registered
614 Posts
It would be the contaminants in the water that cause the fire hazard. While water does conduct electricity, it is a poor conductor. If I can't keep a piece of electronic out the way when I do a water change, I cover it with a big thick fluffy bath towel. Just in case.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
well lets hope that if it does eventually catch fire that it happens when im home :) Im going to start covering everything up as well during WC. Good idea :) I would just buy a new router but I dont know how to set wireless up and would rather not pay futureshop another $100 to do it as well as the money for a new router.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm an expert at setting them up, no need to pay them $100. It really isn't tough, just the thought of it is intimidating. Man you are having a really bad day. I hope things work out in your favor.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts