British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Morainy.

There is definitely I difference in behaviour in this tank compared to when they were in my ebi. They are out in the open all the time unless I spook them.

At first I missed the Betta in the tank, but I found that it really limited what else I could put in there like smaller shrimp and the crays. I like the chilis because the shoal all together makes a nice attraction and creates more activity and movement. Everything is so small in the tank it really makes you get up and look into the tank closely instead of viewing it afar and not seeing all the hidden critters. I like the community ecosystem that this tank has going on.

Both has it pros and cons I guess. One centre piece fish like a colourful bettas definitely is splashier. This tank works because I like to see different creatures interacting opposed to one lonely fish by itself.

·
Registered
827 Posts
What an awesome little setup!
Where did you get the chilis?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pretty inspiring... now you have me thinking about which direction to take for my tank. I only have pygmy cory's in there now that my betta's gone up to the Big Fish Tank In The Sky...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question about Aquastyle aquarium

Can anyone tell me the minimum height of the LED light above the glass top. I want to put a 6 gallon tank within my roll top desk (under the top) - maximum height is 17". Eheim lists the top of the 6 gallon as 12.6". That leaves only 4.4" for the light fixture - will it fit? The measurement should be the same for all 3 Aquastyles as the light fixture is the same, I believe. Thanks much. I enjoy your tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Romagjack,

The top of my light is exactly 4" from the glass top and the bottom of the light is about 2.25" from the glass. I only have a 4 gallon and the light spread is enough for me.
Atom,

Thanks very much for the measurement. I just ordered the 6 gallon and can't wait to set it up. Hope it will look as nice as yours.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Romagjack, thanks.

At first I wanted to put my eheim in a shelf as well, but decided not to because it was going to be hard to siphon water with my hose. Hopefully yours will be the right fit and the spread will be fine for the 6 gallon. Post pictures of your setup when you get it going.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
My son is currently testing this light over one end of a 12 inch high 22 super long and the light is excellent, probably good for about a 12 inch wide circumference. I'm impressed.

Romagjack,

The top of my light is exactly 4" from the glass top and the bottom of the light is about 2.25" from the glass. I only have a 4 gallon and the light spread is enough for me.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
April 2012 Update:

The Vals are still going strong. I decided to stop trimming them and now I have some that are almost 24" long. Every time I trimmed one the stem would melt and yellow so I just let them break off naturally.

They have taken over the top now and makes the tank seem dimmer. Added a few Staurogyne repens, but they don't really grow with this low light.

Also added some more cherries and 2 dwarf cories from my ebi and moved the dwarf crayfish out to my ebi tank.

Interesting note, I don't use excel or CO2 in this tank and I have noticed a few more berried females here than my ebi tank. I think the females are dropping their eggs for some reason because I don't see any shrimplets.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Very pretty and healthy-looking tank, Atom. My 6 gallon Aquastyle is just home to one betta and I don't run a filter on it, and it's got an Ebi light instead of this LED, so it is not as modern-looking as this setup, but I still enjoy it a lot.

Those are chili rasboras in there, aren't they? I have some in my Ebi and really like them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
LESSON LEARNED: Bettas and dwarf crays are a BIG NO NO!

So my cray died for no reason that I could figure out. I decided to replace him with 2 new crays in this tank and decided I was going to see if my Betta could move back in as well since he did so well with the amanos without any problems.

I'm going to post my conversation with Morainy here because I think it may be helpful to somebody at some point.

I gave the crowntail another shot in the eheim thinking maybe he was over pecking at the crays. The crays have had a few hours to adjust without the betta. Soon as he was back in his old home he went behind the cray and started nipping at it. The cray jumped in terror. Betta pecked again and this time the cray attacked back and took off one of his fin rays and a big tear in his anal fin. Yikes! He (betta) seemed scared this time, but was still watching the crays from a distance. I didn't want to risk injuring the betta anymore and stressing the crays so I decided to leave the crays in the eheim and will be finding another housing unit for the betta. He is recovering from his ordeal(s) in a big tub right now a little worn out looking, but I think he will be fine. Might have to start up my old 3 gallon eclipse tomorrow.

I moved a few cherries into the eheim and my shoal of chilis. It looks fantastic. The colours of the chilis are really popping here! Ever since I moved in some gold white clouds into my ebi a few weeks ago they have hidden themselves away in the plants. The white clouds were way too active for them. They now have nothing to worry about in their own tank!

So I figured the cray looking rather clumsy and colourful was much more tempting to the betta than the plain and fast moving amanos. Lesson learned!

UPDATED PHOTOS:

The vals continue to spread, but also continue to break off and die as well. I've stopped excel because I heard it melts them. I don't know why, but they turn yellow and mushy after awhile. I recently started dosing potassium. I have had to pull out some new shoots and replant them where they were thinning.

The crays and chilis are very entertaining. The cray holds onto his pellet and tears at it. The chilis gather around him and eat all the bits that fly off. It almost looks like he is feeding them!

Love how the red pops against the green. Creepy amano molt dangling from the plants. The buggers creep me out!

Right now there are 2 dwarf crays, 2 amanos, 3 cherry shrimp and about 12 chili rasboras in the tank! It may be a little overstocked in terms of numbers, but the chilis and shrimp don't have a huge bioload...I think.

Oh and the lampeyes started disappearing one by one. I had a very aggressive female and it eventually took them all out while the amanos cleaned up the bodies.
My kids love the shrimp molts. It appeals to their macabre /ghost imagination. ;)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts