British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea for a plywood stand design to hold a 40 gallon breeder and 20 gallon standard underneath? Also anyone have an idea for a diy glass or plexi lid?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Any reason why it has to be plywood? You could make a 2 x 4 stand very easily. I like that construction because every thing is easy to get at. There are a number of great how-to videos on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I typed plywood but meant 2x4

Do you think it would be better to have 2 20s stacked and 2 40s stacked or a 40 over a 20?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree 2 x 40s side by side on a lower platform with 20s above would be the most efficient and economical and efficient. That would allow for 2 x 40s with 3 X 24” tanks above.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of two different stands. For one stand, I would probably do 40s on one side and 20s on the other. Or maybe 40s on the top and 20s on the bottom, with room for storage or a canister filter.

·
Registered
897 Posts
That would work too ... I guess it’s up to this hobbyist.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Plywood give you the finished look but dues require a bit more finishing skills and associated tools.
2x4 is a bit rough and still need to be wrapped with plywood for the finished look.
If you want finished look, save the 2x4 and go straight plywood. Plywood stand is stronger and sturdier than 2x4 stand if build properly.
I have seem 1x2 stands screwed together with drywall screw for a 33 gallon that stood for years.
Painted birch plywood looks good even with unfinished edges - done one for a store in Surrey near Guildford.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Plywood give you the finished look but dues require a bit more finishing skills and associated tools.
2x4 is a bit rough and still need to be wrapped with plywood for the finished look.
If you want finished look, save the 2x4 and go straight plywood. Plywood stand is stronger and sturdier than 2x4 stand if build properly.
I have seem 1x2 stands screwed together with drywall screw for a 33 gallon that stood for years.
Painted birch plywood looks good even with unfinished edges - done one for a store in Surrey near Guildford.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used a combo of plywood and hardwood for my stand. Turned out looking pretty good in my opinion... I'll see if I can find instructions on here how to post photos - it's a very simple design for a display stand, but it is probably not what you're looking for... You're looking for more of a racking system it sound like - in which case 2x4 will be the cheapest and most flexible (in terms of design) I think.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure if those pictures work. But it's a pretty basic design. The ends are made of a piece of 3/4" thick red oak plywood panel sandwiched between two legs, which are made from red oak 2x2's. The 2x2 legs and plywood panel are glued and screwed (pocket screws).

I used solid red oak for the stretchers across the front, and 3/4" plywood for the stretches across the back. THere is a solid 1/4 plywood panel across the entire back, which gives it a lot of strength.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts