British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this on Saturday, only to lose it in the great crash...

So here it is again...

I picked up a 110g Salt Water setup from Craigslist about a month ago and until last weekend didn't have the opportunity to deal with it.

It came with a stand that I didn't like and many more parts

I started on Saturday by cutting most of the lumber and building the Top and Bottom

On Sunday I finished the painting and assembly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

On Monday I was able to get the stand in place.
Future Home

In Place

Last night I purchased everything for the drain line, tonight I cut, fit and glued the plumbing together.

Tomorrow I'll glue the plumbing in place and start on the pump line. I also need to brace the stand some more as I can shake the stand if I try.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doors and sides will follow once the tank is running.

Don't want to have to deal with them while plumbing :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
IMO, i would put some diagonal supports on the back and sides, so it doesnt rock. That's alot of weight up there. Other wise looking good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO, i would put some diagonal supports on the back and sides, so it doesnt rock. That's alot of weight up there. Other wise looking good.
Cut the material for the supports and painted them last night, install tonight along with the drain plumbing.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Doors and sides will follow once the tank is running.

Don't want to have to deal with them while plumbing :)
Is that our reefers normally do it? Plumb in every before putting on doors? I just hate crawling around in my stand since I'm 6'2" (I know height is no excuse, but I just don't seem to be able to fit anywhere inside properly without knocking everything over).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bracing was added today.

I added another valve onto the drain line thinking it that at some point in time I may want to shut the drain off

I also put together the pump hard line.

I have my daughter this weekend so not much else will happen until Sunday night.

Still thinking about how to close the stand in... Doors or no doors. I saw pics of a stand where the front cover came off completely. I like the extra access this would allow. However I have also plumbed in a hose connection to the drain line and I don't want to take the entire front off to complete a WC. I figure I have until Monday night to figure that part out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is that our reefers normally do it? Plumb in every before putting on doors? I just hate crawling around in my stand since I'm 6'2" (I know height is no excuse, but I just don't seem to be able to fit anywhere inside properly without knocking everything over).
Don't know if its normal, just seemed to be easier. I don't like trying to crawl under and around things to put plumbing together. Its not my favorite part of building this as it is.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was curious why you put the legs on the way you did. With the metal pocket things? I got thinking about it and i cant figure out any advantage. In fact I was surprised as its not a very stable mounting system.
Please don't take this the wrong way :) .
If I were you I would remove the rear braces and used one solid piece of plywood from the floor to the top edge of the Styrofoam. This would give you much more stability as well as support and free up inside space. you could do the same on the sides but cut an opening (which could become your door with a molding around it.) before putting it on . A one piece window frame opening out of 3/4 plywood would give you way more stability and support / strength. The braces might seem like a good idea now but will become a pita in the future when you need a flat area to mount stuff and or store.
Not to criticize at all just a lot of weight there and I tend to..... ummm ....over think that kinda stuff . :)
bill

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ah....all that PVC and ball valves....feels just like my project. Good job Mech Eng!

With my own build, I would never put on the doors before everything was done. I'm already hitting my head on everything in there as it is and I'm only 5'8"! I couldn't imagine using hinged doors either. My clip on doors so far have been working well for me. Wish I was more of a carpenter to make better looking stuff, but I'll post pics on mine in my build thread....hopefully the old bca data comes back!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was curious why you put the legs on the way you did. With the metal pocket things? I got thinking about it and i cant figure out any advantage. In fact I was surprised as its not a very stable mounting system.
Please don't take this the wrong way :) .
I agree with the stability of the metal pockets, thought it would be a good idea. Found out that it wasn't stable enough for me which is why I added the brackets. Now more that stable enough (2 of us couldn't get the stand to shake at all, only move it) :)

I didn't use plywood on the back as I wanted the back open to the wall, I also wanted a stand that was strong enough without solid plywood walls for when it comes time to modify it. Already looking at a 2nd stand beside it to house the FW top up, age SW for water changes and have a acclimation / quarantine tank for new fish on a semi automated system.

BTW not taken the wrong way, critique and questions are good. Its the best way to learn and improve.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah....all that PVC and ball valves....feels just like my project. Good job Mech Eng!

With my own build, I would never put on the doors before everything was done. I'm already hitting my head on everything in there as it is and I'm only 5'8"! I couldn't imagine using hinged doors either. My clip on doors so far have been working well for me. Wish I was more of a carpenter to make better looking stuff, but I'll post pics on mine in my build thread....hopefully the old bca data comes back!
Thanks, I would love to see pictures of the clip on doors. I'm thinking that this will be the way I'll go :)

Not much of a finish carpenter myself, still learning about all this wood stuff. Much more used to large steel.

·
Registered
890 Posts
okay this may sound a little off the wall, but why not use velcro to hold your outside panels in place? You can get some very tough and strong velcro these days and usually get it in rolls and cut whatever sizes you need. it is easy to attach using glues. I use a CA glue with the velcro adhesive and trust me, this stuff does NOT come off of wood.
Just a thought, its cheap, easy and very versatile!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts