British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thanks, I would love to see pictures of the clip on doors. I'm thinking that this will be the way I'll go :)

Not much of a finish carpenter myself, still learning about all this wood stuff. Much more used to large steel.
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. They are just plastic.

·
Registered
807 Posts
On my stand I made the legs in the corners form an L-shape this way the legs support the weight all the way around.
I went overkill on mine just because I'm paranoid.
:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just noted, you have a layer of what looks to be styrofoam under your tank, is this necessary on stands that support the perimeter framework of the tank? seems to me the styrofoam would just crush under the weight of the tank and cause leveling issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just noted, you have a layer of what looks to be styrofoam under your tank, is this necessary on stands that support the perimeter framework of the tank? seems to me the styrofoam would just crush under the weight of the tank and cause leveling issues.
I am using the Styrofoam to aid in leveling the loading out and insulation from lighting under the stand, under the Styrofoam there is a sheet of 3/4" plywood. Yes it will crush a bit, that's what will aid in re-distributing the load. Most stands for this size of tank have a center leg, which I didn't want in the front. In order to make sure I didn't stress the tank due to the leg not being in the front, I wanted to make sure the load wasn't just on the outer edges. From calculations this stand is good for an evenly distributed load 5x greater than it will have (with typically safety factors).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
On my stand I made the legs in the corners form an L-shape this way the legs support the weight all the way around.
I went overkill on mine just because I'm paranoid.
:D
I debated doing the same. If I used 1x4 instead of the 2x4 for the legs I would have done this. As it is the 2x4 in the back run parallel to the length and the 2x4s in the front run perpendicular. I found this to give the best support for the tank. There is also extra bracing directly under the plywood to keep the load evenly distributed (along with the Styrofoam on top of the plywood).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
okay this may sound a little off the wall, but why not use velcro to hold your outside panels in place? You can get some very tough and strong velcro these days and usually get it in rolls and cut whatever sizes you need. it is easy to attach using glues. I use a CA glue with the velcro adhesive and trust me, this stuff does NOT come off of wood.
Just a thought, its cheap, easy and very versatile!
Great idea, think this will work well. I could do 2 doors on the front then quite easily. 1 for access to complete the water changes and the other to open the front fully for future modification :)

Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Resurrect the 400 g build thread Tony, as it looks like the old forum isn't coming back.
Yeah, I will do it after a little more progress...then I'll do one big post. Hopefully, the site data will be back as the value of the board is the accumulated knowledge. Or we can just mandate everyone do at least 10 posts a day to fill up the database! Lol. Told my IT guy at work about this crash and he was laughing so hard, at the fact that I participate in an aquaria forum. Then he said he finds it hard to believe a total failure could happen given IT practices nowadays. Ah well, that's life I guess.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts