British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, So I'm starting to do some EI Dosing after consulting two online experts (2wheelsx2 and Jonney_boy) :D (Yes, your names are here again)

I'm using a DIY CO2 from a 2 litre pop bottle, yes, it wuz delicious!
Had one single strip Coralife 6700k NO (Normal Output), and was only dosing Seachem Flourish once every 3 days!
EXTRA that i've learnt, Seachem Excel CAN replace CO2, but can sometimes hurt plants, so please consult an expert! But for another cheaper way to go, you can definitely go buy Metricide (known as a disinfectant, until I buy this, I don't want to give further information, so again, please consult with an expert or my mentor)

So after consulting the experts! This is what I had to purchase for a good plant tank, btw, if you're planning on starting one, please note that it's not just the dosing that's important, CO2 and lighting takes a huge part! If you have too much of one thing and not the other, it still wont work!

So I went to pick up a few things!
Solar Hydroponics (Burnaby - Imperial and Nelson)
KNO3 Potassium Nitrate
KH2PO4 MonoPotassium Phosphate
K2SO4 Potassium Sulphate
Chelated Micronutrient Mix
Came out to be exactly $30.32 (Includes tax and discounted)
(This will be your trace and macros, to supply your plant nutrients, and will last next to forever)

London Drugs (Richmond - No.3 and Westminster)
Epsom Salt x 2bags
Came out to be exactly $11.85 (Includes Tax)
(For bumping up your KH and GH, yes, stop asking, it plays an important part in water chemistry)

Michaels Craft Store (Richmond - Bridgeport)
Plaster of Paris x 1 small tub
Came out to be exactly $9.50 (Includes Tax)
(For bumping up your KH and GH, yes, stop asking, it plays an important part in water chemistry)

The Bay (Richmond Center)
Measuring spoons - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 - $8

Coralife Compact Light Fixture (From Mega - Tony)
This is used, but AWESOME DEAL
$130 with 4 used bulbs and 4 new bulbs!
Condition is next to new, and it'll supply 65w per bulb! GOOD for plants

Currently already have
Coralife Double Strip, 2x 28w
$89.99 from Bigalsonline.ca and we have a 15% discount and free shipping!
You don't need this many light, but I prefer to have these handy, incase I want to switch and see the effect!

Now, out of my knowledge of talking to 2wheelsx2 (My Mentor)
Nitrate should always be 4:1 Ratio
For 20 Gallon
1/4 Tsp Nitrate - KNO3
1/16 Tsp Phosphate - KH2PO4
1/16 Tsp Potassium - K2SO4

Schedule for ME (60 Gallon Tank, 4x65w 6700k CFL Coralife Fixture, DIY CO2 x 2 + Metricide 14)
Going to start it off on Tuesday because that's when I do my water changes!
TUESDAY - 50% Water Change (Reset Parameters) Dose 1/4 tsp of Plaster Of Paris, 1/2 tsp of Epsom Salt, Neutral PH Regulator as well (I like my PH at 7, not necessary), Metricide 14 5ML
WEDNESDAY - 2/4 tsp of Nitrate KNO3, 2/8 Phosphate KH2PO4, 2/8, Potassium K2SO4, Metricide 14 5ML
THURSDAY - One cap of Seachem Flourish (DO NOT dose with KH2PO4, its told that it blocks plants from absorbing iron), Metricide 14 5ML
FRIDAY - 2/4 tsp of Nitrate KNO3, 2/8 Phosphate KH2PO4, 2/8, Potassium K2SO4, Metricide 14 5ML
SATURDAY - One cap of Seachem Flourish (DO NOT dose with KH2PO4, its told that it blocks plants from absorbing iron), Metricide 14 5ML
SUNDAY - 2/4 tsp of Nitrate KNO3, 2/8 Phosphate KH2PO4, 2/8, Potassium K2SO4, Metricide 14 5ML
MONDAY - One cap of Seachem Flourish (DO NOT dose with KH2PO4, its told that it blocks plants from absorbing iron), Metricide 14 5ML
Repeat From Tuesday! (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong)
Everything should be dose every other day! And on the 7th day, a 50% water change must be done to reset water parameters! Keep in mind, this is the estimate, we might be dosing more than enough, but it is better than dosing less, as your plants will not run out of nutrients to grow!

I am still currently dosing Seachem flourish, so I havent used the trace I bought until I can edit this when my mentor returns!

For lighting:
I found out that a regular T5 Fixture, the lighting ratio should be around 1.5w to 1 gallon of water, and a compact flourescent is 1w to 1 gallon of water, keep in mind, these are only estimates. But as Nicklefire has a sticky on the lighting thread, you can definitely just go read that, but as he says, 1w per 1 gallon is quite low, especially for the high light plants, it'll be hard to keep. Therefore, I personaly suggest 2w per gallon, as I will soon be testing 4w per gallon and see how that goes!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
=) I'll constantly be editing this thread as I go along! So far, waiting for the experts inputs before I give out any informatino that's unconfirmed!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. still trying to fill up everything! Will hafta constantly edit everything!
But i'm doing a 60 gallon tank.. I can only say, the tank is dang tall!!

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I forgot about your tank size Jackson. Since you're doing a 60, double up on the dosages, which is for a 20-40 gallon tank. So 1/2 KNO3, 1/8 KH2PO4 and 1/8 K2SO4 (all these are in teaspoons).

Remember to do the 50% water change at the end of the week. If you don't like changing that much, do 2x30% water changes a week. The water changes reset all the parameter, so when in doubt, do a water change. :D Water changes don't hurt anything (just ask discus keepers) and as you found out, the ferts are cheap.

Post up a pic of the tank so we have a starting point on how it looks.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my mentor has spoken! And he's right.. I'll ignore whoever opinion that says this tank is overstocked, cuz i know it is =) at least we can all enjoy some plants! and NO, some fish aren't stayin in here, especially the sharks, this is a growout for them until they get enuff size so my bigger fish dun eat em!

Anyways, here's my tank! we'll date it today of May 6th, 2010 and see what happens in two weeks!

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
wow.. looking good....

You have everything you need to get off to a good start....... and yes that tank is overstocked, but not crazy so... my 75 gal is prob more heavily stocked than yours. With a heavily stocked tank, just make sure you keep up with the water changes. 50% water changes on my 75 gal twice a week at a min.. sometimes 3 times!

Do keep on eye out on algae tho, since you are increasing many things at once, you have to try and keep everything in balance.... Your upping lights and ferts but not changing the co2.... DIY co2 with a 60 gal is "borderline" enough.... You can suppliment this with another pop bottle or by adding excel (or the cheap version, metricide 14.. I have to double check the label on my bottle to confirm the name)

If you start getting some BBA (black beard algae) you know your co2 is lacking and needs to be increased... in the mean time, unless your tank is very warm, keep the tank circulation high and the surface agitation low, that will help spread the nutrients and co2 around stopping it from being blown out of the tank.

Your next investment would be a drop checker.. hehehe...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks
Well.. i check my parameters every 2 days, everything is absolutely fine! but I still do around a 40% water change weekly, just added crushed coral and ammonia remover in my canister few days ago! It's 0 ammonia, but I still want to be safe!

And let me know when you find out that cheap stuff you're telling me about, and where to get it! =) for now... i'll be making another DIY CO2 pop bottle tomorrow!

As for the tank... I have 4 oto cats, 1 siamese algae eater, and 2 filter shrimps cleaning the whole place up!

btw.. what's a drop checker?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Drop checker is to gauge CO2 levels. I don't recall exactly how it works, but it's water with a 4dkh level in an bell, that captures CO2, and it uses a certain chemical, which turns a shade of green to indicate the CO2 ppm I believe.

...I believe that is correct. BTW, let me know if you still need more KNO3 or not, I'm confused if you already picked some up.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
The drop checker using basically the same stuff as the fluid that measures pH and uses the pH/KH relationship to change the colour of the fluid Based on the CO2 level of the tank and the fact that the fluid is set up with a liquid that is set at 4 degrees of carbonate hardness (that's what 4 kdH is), the CO2 level will reach equilibrium within the vial. Green in the checker means between 20 - 40 ppm CO2. Our target in heavily planted tanks and higher light is 30 ppm. So you can adjust according...lighter green to almost yellow for more CO2 and bluer for less CO2.

Jackson, I'd seriously consider dosing Excel or metricide also, now that you've upped you lights.

The tank looks good. The only critique might be to group the plants tighter so it looks more organized, but if you like the way it looks, then so be it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!

Anyways, what's metricide, as you say it's cheaper! And the measurements for it? where can i purchase this?

I'm planning on making my 2nd diy co2 tonight, but I'm afraid of any PH crash, I have 2 small bags of crushed coral inside my canister, and planning on having 2 diy co2 connected to the intake of my 2 fluval 3 plus with low flow rate!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Metricide is basically the same stuff as Excel, except twice as concentrated. You get it from a medical supply place in Richmond, called Bowers. I don't have the address, but I am sure someone will be along shortly with it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WHAT THE HECK!!! are you kidding me? I'm dumping plaster of paris that's use for renovations and repairs, i'm also using epsom salt that people use as mineral baths, and now I'm using metricide? and this is I guess medical supplies? LOL!!!!

Anyone know how much these stuff cost?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
o_O and it's called bowers located at viking way?

Guess I'll go there next week, since I'm located in Richmond anyways!

So does this mean if i dose metricide, I don't even need a co2 system or DIY co2?

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
=) These will be the only plants I'll be trying to grow at the moment! but there is java moss and ferns in there, is that okay?

=) God.. i'm so happy when my mentor speaks! I've learnt more in a week from you than I've learnt in chemistry and geography for high school LOL!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts