British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
What type of shrimp are you planning to keep? Caridinas, like CRS, will do best with a buffering substrate like ADA Amazonia. Plants also do great with this substrate.

As far as plants go - mosses and shrimp are great mates. It really depends on what you want to achieve. If you are going for a show tank, then add CO2 and your possibilities are endless. If you want to just breed the shrimp, mosses are great as are ferns and floaters like salvinia natans or duckweed are great for sucking up excess nutrients.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Depends on shrimp and what kind tank you want. low tec or high tec.

sand, sponge filter and moss is more than enough for low tec tank for red cherry shrimps.

If you go for high tank, than dwarf hair grass, dwarf baby tear come to mind in term of carpet which means you need expensive light and pressurized co2.

You can always start with low tec with red cherry shrimps, once you have experience, than move on to more difficult and high tec tank.

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
I like black substrate to really help the shrimp colours pop.

I also use floating plants as a great way to export nutrients. Duckweed grows like crazy and is then fed to my goldfish and gives them a nice fresh "salad" twice or three times a week (have 3 nano tanks providing veggies).

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
The marimo ball is a good thing for them to graze off of. You should think about adding some moss (you can attach it if you don't want it to be loose), as when they breed the shrimpettes can hide out in it for security and graze off of, even if they're the only inhabitants.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Following this thread...have a 10g I also want to make into a shrimp tank. didn't realize cherry shrimp were so expensive though...$5 each. ouch!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Following this thread...have a 10g I also want to make into a shrimp tank. didn't realize cherry shrimp were so expensive though...$5 each. ouch!
$5.00 for red cherries is a bit steep :( Check out "Freshguy" on Freshwater classifieds. He is selling Fire Red Cherries...He has had quite a response to his posting, so hopefully he will have some shrimp left :lol: He is selling the FR Cherries.......Ten (10) for $20.00 or if you buy Thirty (30) or more, he will give them to you for $1.50 each. My friend got some of his blue dreams and thirty of the Fire Red cherries. They are very nice shrimp and he is a great guy to deal with :) Good luck. I am also currently in the process of starting up a nano shrimp tank...gonna get some crs :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I like black Eco Complete in my fish tanks. Somebody here has some for sale, still in the bag, too. My cherry shrimp also used to look awesome in my 36 bowfront that had natural grey river sand (close to black) and my 22 gallon long, that had Caribsea black sand - Tahitian moonsomething. But Eco-Complete has always worked very well for me and seems great for plants, too. You can pour it straight out of the bag without washing it if it's new.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Feeshguys Cherries are nice and 1.50-2.00 $ depending on Quantity. Just picked up 30 the other day already have a few berried :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts