British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a Stingray go in a planted tank?? Judy is setting up a 250G Discus and Rays tank but she would also like it to be planted, at least along the back anyway. The question is can a Ray go in a tank that has Eco complete or other planted substrates??

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I don't know about the Rays themselves, but I can't imagine being able to keep the plants down when the rays are roaming the bottom. I have enough trouble with a pleco and cichlid tank keeping the plants down. There are certain spots that no matter what I do, the plecos and cichlids will not allow planting.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about the Rays themselves, but I can't imagine being able to keep the plants down when the rays are roaming the bottom. I have enough trouble with a pleco and cichlid tank keeping the plants down. There are certain spots that no matter what I do, the plecos and cichlids will not allow planting.
Yeah I get the difficulty of keeping the plants rooted but I was actually more concerned about the potential effect the substrate might have on the Ray. I figure since the tank is 250G that there is enough room to do both without too much hassle.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
If it's any assurance, I've not had any problems with the barbels on my Sterbai Corys in Eco-complete, which seem to be pretty sensitive to coarse gravels. My EC is pretty rounded. I guess the other substrate you can try is Florabase, which is totally rounds and small fracted clay particles. I think the only concern with that would be a constant cloud of dust as the ray swims over it.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Neat idea but sounds like a bit of a nightmare. The amount of silt the ray would stir up on a constant basis would be a nightmare on plants. Also Rays can be pretty destructive when they want to. The texture of the substrate is probably OK but might irritate the skin long term.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Neat idea but sounds like a bit of a nightmare. The amount of silt the ray would stir up on a constant basis would be a nightmare on plants. Also Rays can be pretty destructive when they want to. The texture of the substrate is probably OK but might irritate the skin long term.
x2 on this one buddy , more work than its worth .. :cool:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Eco complete is not an appropriate substrate for a ray. they need a substrate that is smooth and will not irritate their sensitive ventral side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts