British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
33g build ideas for someone who's been out of the aquarium game for a while.

This is what I've put together so far for equipment:

-33 gallon 36x12x18
-Current USA Freshwater Satellite LED Plus PRO - 36-48" 45 Watts*
-Fluval G3 Premium Filtration System*
-Hydor 300 Watt External Thermal Heater
-Hydor Smart Level Control - Auto Top Off*
-Eheim Compact Pump 300 - 80 GPH*
-Caribsea Tahitian Moon Black Sand - 60 pounds
-Seachem Flourish Tabs
-Seachem Purigen
-Seachem Matrix Bio Media
-Tetra Aquasafe Plus
p4.jpg
3817551f.jpg
4984AAF2-B568-4FBE-B31A-37ADB8948132_zpskjatnv8y.jpg
Close to the look I'm shooting for.

Stocking(not sure if this is realistic, just picked out some colourful fish).

Fancy guppy - 10
Endlers - 3
Scarlet badis - 1
Killifish - 2
Celestial pearl danio - 5
Pygmy cory - 5
Panda garra - 1
German blue ram - 2
Red cherry shrimp - 10

dwarfCory.jpg
A school of pygmy's is one idea I'm liking for a twist on the clean up crew. And I'll go with black sand for them.

Not sure about plants yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
What kind plants you are going to get? Fluval ultra bright LED will not be enough for high light plants. (might even be reaching for med light.) Some plants require co2 and bop filter such as Aquaclear 70 isn't best for co2 tank. If you plan only dose liquid co2 such as seachem flourish excel. Some fish are sensitive to it. (From my experience red cherry shrimp tend to die when i dose excel.) Unless it is easy plants like green camboba or hornwort, you may need plant substrate such as ADA amazonia. Are you going to get carpet? Most carpet plants such as dwarf hair grass and dwarf baby tear require high light and high co2.

I don't believe German blue ram and Red Cherry Shrimp are good mix as I have read GBR will eat all the shrimp since they are cichlid after all. If you still plan to do that you will need to provide a lot of cover ( Dense carpet.) for shrimps to hide and allow it to build up huge colony first. German blue ram still may hunt down all the shrimps. (same thing goes to Scarlet badis and Killifish appear it will eat shrimp as well. Fish will eat anything that fit in their mouths anyway)

·
Registered
379 Posts
In my 45 gallon community tank I once saw Galaxy rasbora (Celestial pearl danio) tried to take a nip at a swimming by cherry shrimps that is same size as the galaxy. The Cherry shrimp jump/bounce away as the galaxy approach.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Shrimp and Rams don't do well together. Also don't Rams prefer lower ph and gh whereas live bearers prefer the opposite?

Reactions: effox

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree, keep the guppies and endlers separated unless they are all male or you'll have cross breeding happening. And many fish will eat your shrimp or shrimplets. I've had luck keeping a few cherry shrimp in with my endlers and pygmy cories in a well planted tank. Galaxy/CPDs might do ok as well. Why not keep a few fewer species and up the numbers on what you are keeping? Three endlers, 1 scarlet badis, or five pygmies will end up kind of lost in a 33 gallon tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking now:
15 guppys
10 galaxys
3 garras
5 Pygmy corys
3 scarlet badis
10 shrimp

The killifish would be awesome and I would drop the shrimp to have one, but I believe they are next to impossible to find. I see next to no pictures or video of them in tanks so that's a bad sign. I did see eggs for sale on ebay though. Maybe it will just involve more effort to get them.

For plants:

Stream Bogmoss
Java Moss
Java Fern
Anubais Nano
Water Wisteria
Amazon Sword
DWARF SAGITTARIA

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
There are lots of killifish locally - you'll be able to find them. Check with April's Aquarium. Or you can post a LF thread in the classifieds section. Just be careful of some sellers on craigslist.

Depending on the species, a killifish may like to eat other fish. I know I made the mistake once of putting my trio of Gularis with guppies (I know now the water parameters for these fish aren't compatible) - after a couple nights I had some very chubby killifish.

Clown killifish on the other hand may make better community fish.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
If you have male and female endlers, you will have a zillion endlers quickly. I love endlers, but have you thought of trying a schooling fish in your 33 gallon? A school of red phantom tetras with some corydoras? Or furcatas? Alternatively, what about a mated pair of krebenzas or Rams? Just a few ideas. I may have messed up the spelling here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have male and female endlers, you will have a zillion endlers quickly. I love endlers, but have you thought of trying a schooling fish in your 33 gallon? A school of red phantom tetras with some corydoras? Or furcatas? Alternatively, what about a mated pair of krebenzas or Rams? Just a few ideas. I may have messed up the spelling here.
I was thinking of having the celestials as the schooling fish. Those furcatas look awesome though. Hopefully they aren't to difficult to find. I really like the german blue rams, but I also want shrimp. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just wondering, if flow is too strong, is it possible to reduce the flow in the tank by splitting the filter output (add a check valve) and loop it back to the (also split) intake?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just wondering, if flow is too strong, is it possible to reduce the flow in the tank by splitting the filter output (add a check valve) and loop it back to the (also split) intake?
Some Canister filter like my Fluval 306 has flow adjust vault. Some suggest you can reduce the flow by packing more media/dense form in the filter. It really depends on what of fish/plant you have in the tank, some don't like strong flow. In Sneakerpimp's case I think G3 is too strong and little fish like Galaxy Rasbora (celestials ) may have trouble with it.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I bought some nice furcatas from Aquariums West once. They were not expensive and they were lively. They got along well with my cories.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Some Canister filter like my Fluval 306 has flow adjust vault. Some suggest you can reduce the flow by packing more media/dense form in the filter. It really depends on what of fish/plant you have in the tank, some don't like strong flow. In Sneakerpimp's case I think G3 is too strong and little fish like Galaxy Rasbora (celestials ) may have trouble with it.
Thanks for the repley!
That's good to know.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts