British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 29 tall 30x12x18 and I'm thinking of trying something that may be ill advised... But could work. If anyone has tried a combo like this please let me know how it went. Im open to any comments/suggestions and so far this is mostly hypothetical and wont be happening for at least a month or two as im dealing with other things first.

The tank is moderately planted.

Current stock is:
1 male pearl gourami
1 female balloon blue ram
4 ghost shrimp

So far everyone gets along fine.

I tried a pair of pearl gourami but removed the female as she was being chased too much by the male... Always in the mood for love. Sigh.

What I am considering trying is:
1 male pearl gourami
1 angelfish
6-8 cardinal tetras
4 ghost shrimp

Aq advisor says im at 85%
Im not worried about water quality as im on top of water changes. Im more interested in the compatibility of these fish. I realize that angelfish can eat cardinals, that angelfish can get quite large and some consider my tank size inappropriate, and that some say not to mix pearls and angels. However, some also say it works. Im sure a lot will depend on the individual personalities of the fish.

If i do this my plan is to add the cardinals first and the angelfish last. I'd love to get a small juvenile angelfish and let it grow up with the others but I don't really want to end up with one the size of a dinner plate that will need to be moved to a bigger tank (Id get a bigger tank in a heartbeat but don't currently have the space) Would it be better to get an adult angelfish that is stunted or just naturally on the small side? Or would that be too risky aggression wise?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have stocked tanks like your's in a similar way.

Some general rules I use are:

1) Groupings are all odd numbers. For some reason that is more pleasing to us humans.

2) Go with larger groupings and less species.

3) Choose species that don't compete for the same area of the tank and that keeps the agression down between species.

4) Generally have more females and less males if you can. I wonder how your Pearl gouramis would make out if you had had 1 male + 2 or 4 females?

If you are going to keep Angels, I wouldn't keep shrimp unless there are extremely well protected. areas for th to hide as Angels will eat them.

Right now one of my favourite tanks is a 75 with 5 full size Angels. It is well planted and filtered at 10 x water capacity / hr. Though they are predators the Angels are well fed and their presence has my species of tetras schooling nicely. In a 30 g you could have 3 Angels and like you suggest start with juveniles and grow them.

Hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All good points.

If I do decide to keep the female pearl gourami I will definitely have to add a second female to spread out the attention from the male. I think 5 pearl gouramis in a 29 would be too crowded. In this case I also won't have room for an angel. I originally didn't want any female pearls as they aren't as colourful but decided to give the pair a try.

As far as angelfish go I definitely don't want any breeding behaviour/aggression. Id prefer to keep more than one species in this tank and definitely don't want to part with my ram. I also don't have room for babies. I could be wrong but I've read that with angelfish in a tank this size its best to either keep 1 single, or a mated breeding pair and nothing else. Or 5 plus angels in a larger tank. I can put the ghost shrimp into my other tank if need be.

How do these options sound?

Option 1:
3 pearl gouramis (1m/2f)
6-8 cardinal tetras
4 ghost shrimp

Option 2:
1 male pearl gourami
1 female baloon blue ram
1 angelfish
6-8 cardinal tetras

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
I would vote Option 1. All compatible, similarly sized (sm to med) fish that you can keep long-term. Adding an angel will mean either rehoming it if it gets too big and starts eating your cardinals, or losing the cardinals.

Anthony

·
Registered
900 Posts
Agree ... option 1 is a more balanced approach ... but I think you could easily add a BN Pleco and a small group of cories especially C. habrosus, maybe 5 of them into the mix.

What level of filtration are you considering ... if it was me I'd be filtering with something like AquaClear 70 + Fluval 306 or Filstar (RENA) M (reuseable sponges and good media / Hydroton and Biohome) + nice size sponge filter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'll have to wait until I move and get a bigger tank to get my angel... I really wanted to push it and cram one in there lol. I didn't really expect anyone to agree with me on that though. I suppose if I go the trio of pearls rout and it doesn't work out I can sell them and start fresh. It will probably work pretty well, the male isnt really mean, just too much for one lady to handle.

I would love to find a nice long finned yellow BNP with blue eyes. If anyone has ever seen one let me know...

Filtration at the moment is a fluval c3 hob. Its rated for 50 gallons. I took out the carbon and added extra sponge. Its been great so far but I will need to add another filter to stock heavily. I would prefer to keep filtration outside the tank as much as possible so would rather stay away from a sponge filter (also don't want to listen to an air pump in the living room) I will definitely check out the filters you suggested though. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also have 4 C. Aeneus in a biocube 14 that will need more space once they grow out. I might add them into the mix if all is going well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts