British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a half hour ago I was outside enoying the sun in the backyard when this crack head looking lady wearing an orange construction vest walks through the front yard and down the side of the house right into my back yard.

She said shes from the elizabeth fry society doing a bottle drive and wanted to know if she could have the 5 garbage bags of beer bottles i have under the patio. She knew exactly where they were so its like she had been back there before and was coming to grab them but I caught her off gaurd. anyways I told her they wern't mine and she would have to come back later but she went on for 10 minutes on how she was doing this from 6am and this is the last day before the bbq and she needed them now.

After she finally left I looked up the elizabeth fry number on my phone and called them and of course they wern't doing a bottle drive and they definitly wouldn't just walk into peoples back yards like that. They told me to call the NWPD non emergency just to let them know theres a crazy lady going into peoples backyards. I dont think she was really after bottles, she just said that cause I caught her... Good thing I was outside when she came back there. I could care less about the bottles but theres lots of other stuff she could of stolen. Time to lock everything up in the garage.

When I came back inside after calling them I notice the front door is unlocked :( hopefully she wasn't in the house after she left the backyard because it was a while before i finally came inside.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
wow creepy!what makes people think they have the right to walk into ur backyard anyways! and the fact she knew were everything was...... not cool!!!!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
wow good thing is right.
i second the call the NWPD non emerge # and let them know for sure.....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cops just said they would patrol the area. I did see them creep by about 10 minutes after I called so thats good I guess.

I do have a big dog but he has to be tied up when he's in the backyard because he digs massive holes in the garden. He was barking like mad at her and wanting to rip her face off... The more i think about it the more I wish I would of let him get her lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
better yet....get a monitored alarm system if you don't have one already. I own a security company in prince george and I would NEVER be without one.
You can even arm it up to stay mode for when you are home to give you peace of mind should anyone ever try to come into your house.....that's a creepy story you told, but not one i've never heard before.....I don't want to scare you, but sometimes that's what they do....go to a back door and knock to see if anyone is home or not and if you don't answer they break in.....good thing you were home.....damn crackheads......good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no one else who lives here thinks we need an alarm system but me :( we have a big dog who barks like crazy when someones at the door, they think thats good enough....A few years ago we had a similar thing to what you explained. Some kid was knocking at the front door one morning, I didnt answer cause I was in bed but about 5 minutes later they were inside walking by my bedroom door...the back door was unlocked :( good thing they ran out when they saw me.

im hoping this crazy lady didn't come in the house because she seen that I was "home". I don't see anything missing but you never know. Just the fact she could of been in my house freaks me out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Calling the police is more for the file # than anything else. There was a time when my fence kept getting kicked in. Every time it happened, we got a file number. One day we got a call from the RCMP that they had noticed a pattern. It seams that there was a small group who would start in a certain location, kick a fence in, then carry on along a predictable path. One night the calls started coming into the RCMP, they were able to stage some constables along the route, who then caught them, and witnessed one of the acts. Our fence never got kicked in after that.

That is why you report it and get a file number. It allows them to create a profile/pattern, if there is one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah we've had that happen in North Burnaby too. Some guy just walked into our yard and took our cans and bottles. Now the gate to the back lane is locked...

·
Registered
496 Posts
WwwOWW that is really creepy... I would have been rummaging for a baseball bat!!!

It makes sense that she was probably just looking for bottles. It's a common source of income for homeless people and there are only so many bottles out in the streets. Maybe some people go onto private property in search of more bottles... they probably reason that they're not hurting anybody by doing this so why not?

Come to think of it I think we have had some homeless people pick bottles out of our recycling when we put it out.

Get a lock for the gate-- I feel like having strange people just walk into your backyard will result in disaster eventually!

ALSO... I know some hardware stores sell 'spike strips' that you can put on the fence to prevent birds from perching there. In my family's experience they also work well to keep any sort of intruder (human, cat, or otherwise) out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same here, I had a couple of garbage bags of cans and bottles stored in my yard out of the view from the back lane and they disappeared one day. A month later my wife caught some looking for something on my property. If I put it out by the blue box I think it's fair game, first come first served. But don't trespass.

·
Registered
188 Posts
agreed.....letting the police know about this would be a good idea....at least they can keep an eye out for a female crackhead with a orange vest...lol

·
Super Moderator
6,612 Posts
Good to hear that you're ok. I would be very, very, very upset with someone doing that to us if my baby girl was playing in our yard. There would be some extra compost material to fertilize next years garden, me thinks. Crackheads & druggies are a bane on society.

Anthony

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I had manny of those too, is amazing how they dont respect peoples property, i had them come upstairs by my door just to look for bottles, going around the house all around it, i think he thought i wasnt home and as soon as my dog barked i saw him and open the door and told him how i felt and that if he came back he was going to b dog food lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would hate to say it, but dogs will only deter some theves. My former boss had a dog that lived in the yard where i work. Big and scary one too. Theves wanted to steal so bad that they got the dog.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back. Only in my case, it wasn't cans that were stolen, but a potted plant that had been left outside to get some sun on my front step. And this was a big pot too, probably weighed around 20 pounds. I don't even know when exactly it happened. Just one day, I noticed that the plant had disappeared...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks back. Only in my case, it wasn't cans that were stolen, but a potted plant that had been left outside to get some sun on my front step. And this was a big pot too, probably weighed around 20 pounds.
Well you shouldn't leave your "pot" outside, druggies will steal it every time. LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts