British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

Substrate for lightly planted discus tank?

• Pool filter sand

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Red Flourite

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Some other substrate

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Are you crazy? Go barebottom?

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using only pool filter sand for my new discus cube because of suggestions of not using dark substrate/background to avoid darkening/peppering of discus. But I will want to put some crypts and probably at least one big sword plant in there. Should I consider red flourite?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would avoid red flourite or any flourite for that matter. Red flourite is still considered dark if you're trying to avoid darkening/peppering of your discus. Also because the granules are still fairly large, it'll be more difficult to keep the substrate clean from uneaten food.

I've grown swords, crypts, red lotus in deep dish glass plates with Sera floradepot as the medium and covered the plate and all with a layer of sand. You can still shift the plates around if the sword isn't growing the way you want it too. Eventually you'll need to supplement with root tabs.

If this were my tank and if I were growing out juveniles and I want them to get big as humanly possible with multiple feeds and water changes :D, I'd go bare bottom first and then add substrate a year later. I didn't vote, I'd be voting for 3 of your 4 choices and no, you're not crazy.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
BBB - Bare bottom, baby ;)!!! Not one spec of substrate in either of these tanks and they are SOOOO easy to keep clean. All plants are potted, glued, or tied.

29 gallon grow-out for Japura green discus:

41 gallon Osaka angel tank:

See Gary? You don't need substrate to have an overplanted tank :) Can't wait to see what you do with your tank.....it's going to be AWESOME! And I'm sure Daniel is going to do up one sweet stand for you.

Shelley

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...one vote for each. I think I will go BB in the beginning, but eventually I'll want substrate as I don't like the BB look....and I don't prefer the Marimo ball substrate Shelley. ;D

I don't plan on it being that heavily planted at all. I plan on having mostly wood/stones/slate as my theme so there will just be some slower growing low light plants in the tank.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Nice looking tanks Shelley.

Gary, I am a huge fan of the look of white sand in my discus tank. Still easy to keep clean but just adds so much to the look. Starting BB is what I do as well. Grow them up a bit, then sand and some plants. Now hurry up and get the tank already!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
oooooh nice

BBB - Bare bottom, baby ;)!!! Not one spec of substrate in either of these tanks and they are SOOOO easy to keep clean. All plants are potted, glued, or tied.

41 gallon Osaka angel tank:

See Gary? You don't need substrate to have an overplanted tank :) Can't wait to see what you do with your tank.....it's going to be AWESOME! And I'm sure Daniel is going to do up one sweet stand for you.

Shelley

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Shelley! Your Japura green discus either looks like moss balls or my eyes are going bad - I couldn't spot any. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Those are super nice looking bare bottom tanks. Never seen anyone do a Marimo carpet before haha.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Gary ,

I was recently where you are in terms of choosing a substrate for my Discus setup and i decided to go with a few bags of 'Crystal River' sand by Carib Sea.Went with a few plants(mainly swords), put a few roots tabs by them and that was it.Love the product , easy to vaccum, looks very natural with my rocks and driftwood everywhere.I got a few bags from April , dont recall the price.Check it out at caribsea your aragonite source and more! , good luck with your project.

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Luke. I'd rather not use aragonite though, as I'm planning to put plecos in the tank also, which will require more acidic and softer water, so would like an inert substrate. But I might mix some in for buffering though.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
hi there..he used instant aquarium sand that is cycled. it has fluid in it for instant cycling. whitish sand. i have a tiny tiny bit in my big tank now with my big blue discus. moved things around. do sand..very thin layer and add more later. you can siphon stuff off the top .

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Dave and April. I don't plan on needing anything cycled as I plan on using media from my 2028 to start my 2078 and also doing a bit of light planting. Fish load will be L134 plecos to begin with so it'll be light.

I'm familiar with Turface Pro which is used a lot by plantedtank.net guys, but it's dark and I'm concerned about the darkness part. So I'm leaning strongly to using some sort of sand.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts