British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 90 gallon (72x18x16) empty for a while and would like to get something in there again.

I'm considering going for peacock cichlids currently, but I'm not married to that idea.

What would you do with this tank?

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
Peacock Bass get WAY too big and will quickly outgrow a 90 gallon (even if purchased at a small size). If you want cichlids, why not try some Geophagus or Uarus.

JM2C.

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peacock Bass get WAY too big and will quickly outgrow a 90 gallon (even if purchased at a small size). If you want cichlids, why not try some Geophagus or Uarus.

JM2C.

Best regards,

Stuart

I never mentioned peacock bass. I'm talking about African cichlids from lake Malawi.

·
Super Moderator
5,270 Posts
Okay.... my bad. Those would work too, however they would require substantially more buffers.

Respectfully,

Stuart

·
Registered
228 Posts
What about some redtail sharks?

·
Registered
263 Posts
What exactly do you want to see in your tank? Variety of fish? That means smaller fish. Colours? Big fish means less fish due to possible aggression

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What exactly do you want to see in your tank? Variety of fish? That means smaller fish. Colours? Big fish means less fish due to possible aggression
Well I currently have monster fish I'm growing out and colourful schooling fish in my 140 gallon. I'd like something a bit different from the usual oddballs or schooling fish, hence my consideration of african cichlids.

·
Registered
288 Posts
African cichlids would be a pretty solid option. Tropheus, a tang community tank, mbuna, or even an all male hap/peacock tank would look great and fit well in a tank of those dimensions.

I filled my 55g with a group of 20 juvenile Tropheus duboisi about a month ago. So far, it's definitely the most entertaining species I've owned.

If you wanted a more community tank route, a tanganyikan community tank could be a nice fit. A species of shell dwellers, a species of rock dweller (ie julidochromis), an open water species like cyps or paracyps, and maybe even a small group of synodontis (if you don't want fry) would be a good place to start.

A tank of that size could handle a pretty decent size mbuna colony too. Maybe a species like saulosi, as both the males/females get some good colour.

Or if you want something totally different, I've really been tempted to set up a rainbowfish tank lately

1 - 10 of 10 Posts