British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone have opinions for below? And/or a native frog forum suggestion?

I have had three native tadpoles for 2 weeks (guessing Pacific Chorus Frogs as those were the only adults we could hear/see in the area).
They were doing great, eating blanched baby lettuce and baby spinach, growing, developing hind legs... I went away on vacation Friday afternoon, came back Sunday night. Two of the three were dead, the bigger two.

I changed only two things recently. Thursday night I gave them their normal water change (I've been taking about 5-10% out every few days, depending on how much they have eaten & how much they are growing, as the larger ones release a growth suppressant hormone to out-compete the others).
The largest tadpole was showing signs of becoming a morph, ie developing lungs. The tadpole care sites I researched said they needed land at that time or they would swim around until they drowned. I also:
1) bought Zoo Med FrogMoss (pillow moss) and altered the hardware in the tub a bit to provide a moist landing area Thursday evening. I prepared it as the box suggested.
2) bought a few spiralina algae bulk wafers (the leaf shape one, brand is escaping me). I gave them half a leaf and a leaf of blanched baby spinach before leaving Friday morning.

Before I left, I checked ammonia levels (at control level), turned the AC on as per usual for the day, and left. I come home and two are dead.

Suggestions? I was able to save the smallest one in a jar of water I had acquired from where I got them. He is active and swimming normally.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Pinkjell, I just signed up :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts