British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm 13 and I'm trying to find a job to do this summer to get some money for a group of fancy plecos, I'm just looking for ideas, what would you pay someone to do for you, maybe mowing lawns or somthing? I don't really know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm 15 and I know the feeling lol. Go with lawn mowing or aquarium cleaning. When I started out with the hobby I went to my LFS/ local fish store, and cleaned their tanks for them. I was only going to ask 1$ per tank but instead they told me they'd pay me 10$ per tank if I did a good job. 20 tanks later and I had 200$ in my pocket. I did that about every 2 weeks. And then I started dog walking I got 50$ every week for that. Now I'm 15 and doing lawn mowing and I let the person I'm mowing for decide the amount they pay depending on how well I did it.

Sent from secret underwater location

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 15 and I know the feeling lol. Go with lawn mowing or aquarium cleaning. When I started out with the hobby I went to my LFS/ local fish store, and cleaned their tanks for them. I was only going to ask 1$ per tank but instead they told me they'd pay me 10$ per tank if I did a good job. 20 tanks later and I had 200$ in my pocket. I did that about every 2 weeks. And then I started dog walking I got 50$ every week for that. Now I'm 15 and doing lawn mowing and I let the person I'm mowing for decide the amount they pay depending on how well I did
How did you ask them about cleaning the tanks for them, was it a big chain store or a little independent one?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Independent and chain I'd tell them what I wanted to do then I told them how long I r dealt with fish and that was it

Sent from secret underwater location

·
Registered
997 Posts
I started out working at my local pet store at 12 years old ( wow... Over 20 years ago now...!) cleaning cages and tanks under the table for 5$ an hour. At 13 I got my SIN card and they hired me on for after school and Saturdays. Just work hard, don't talk too much (gossip), it's fine to ask questions as long as you pay attention to the answers and they will want to hire you. I stayed at that job for many years and It was a great experience.
I think it's a bit harder now, but you will probably have more luck at an Independent pet store though it doesn't hurt to ask the big guys!

Good luck!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sorry were up and down from the Okanogan during the summer so I wouldent be able to work at a job for more then a few days, I guess I should've thought about that but some of these ideas could work great for me, thanks, Oh im over by alouette lake

·
Registered
236 Posts
you can clean up my house for me and I'll trade you the labour for some plecos. They won't be ready
until about Sept, you're busy having fun until then so should work out well. I'll have super reds and calico long and short fins ready by then. May be able to spare a green dragon
as well. You just have to figure a way to get to N Delta and get some practice cleaning house :)

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
I don't know how someone his age could invest in a SW tank unless his parents paid for all of it. The corals alone before you could frag them off would be out of the ball park range for a typical teenager.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Tank 20$ heater 10$ hang on back filter used 10$ lighting 50$ salt 20$ hydromater 5$ you can get damsel fish live rock sand and some corals free own a bio cube and a 72,galon salt befor I got a job birthday mony adds up

1 - 20 of 27 Posts