British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am thinking of switching over to a sump system for my 155Gallon tank and I have a few questions / concerns that need to be cleared up before I decide to go that way.

My main concern is about the water overflowing from the sump in case of some failure. I have a HoB overflow for the sump (where water goes down to the sump), so I am assuming that if the water level goes low enough, then no more water would go into the sump and hence a failsafe method to not flood my apartment.

Considering this, how big of a sump would I need for a 155Gallon tank? I have enough space to put in a 75Gallon tank inside the stand, but I would prefer something smaller in length.

I am a total noob to sump systems and I've never used one before. Some members were kind enough to let me know how it works in theory before, so I have some idea.

Please help me out in this debate and convince me that I should get a sump system running :)

I am also looking for information on how to set it up, what equipments I need and how much it could cost me etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would think with a planted tank you would not need a sump.
But if you go that root. they are expensive. You would need a fairly large return pump, the sump would need baffles in to to control flow and air bubbles.
The best way is to drill the tank and put in overflows. If you use a HOB overflow, make sure that it has an air lift to restart the flow in the event of a power outage.You can get float switches that will shut down the the return pump in case the overflow get clogged. Which for me would be a concern with a planted tank.

Do a search on sumps and you will come up with a lot of advice. Search Durso standpipe. It shows you how to make the overflow silent.

Good luck

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you are serious talk to John at Kings Ed, he is really helpful. He eduacted me pretty quick on sump basics.
In the end I just opted for the non reef ready tank and no sump. Just seemed like too much work to set up and I have several large canister filters already.
My understanding is also that with a planted tank they are not necessary and actually slow plant growth by stealing co2 and nutrients.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am actually planning to change my 155gallon to an African Cichlid setup now. My dad doesn't want me to change the 125gallon, so I wont have any space to put the fish that I get from the group buy.

Since I am doing that, I thought I would look at the option of using a sump instead of a canister filter, but martym's statement is scaring me a little.

I wouldn't want to drill a hole in the tank either.

since its not a planted tank anymore, would it still be a problem with having a HoB overflow?

Would a sump/motor this big be good enough for my 155Gallon or would it be too much?
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank-journals-16/400-gallon-south-american-build-continued-404/

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Don't use a motor as big as the one I chose for my setup. It will be way too noisy. The motor's output is way to much.....like around 4000 gph. I had to end up valving it way down for the overflows to even have a chance in hell of keeping up. Thus, a waste of a motor. Another item for me to sell. :( As Charles had mentioned to me, an in sump submersible pump like a mag would work well and be way less noisy.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yah I had an HOB overflow, that concerned me also, which was why I was gonna get the reef ready. the switches work I'm told to prevent overflowing (of the box).
In the long run though the overflow boxes are pricey.
If you need a overflow box I'm going to sell mine 25$ obo. Will be posing later or pm me if you want it and I will send you a pic.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I definitely wouldn't want noise...The quieter the better :)

I will look up on sump systems more online and see if it is the right way to go.
Right now it just looks like a lot of work and seems like HoB overflows are not a good idea, and I also need to get a submersible motor...and then there is the piping (I have no experience in plumbing :) )

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did not mean to scare you. You just have to take precautions with any overflow system. I used a HOB on my 50g reef tank for 6 months with no issues.
I had safe guards though to prevent overflows.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided to stick with canisters for now.

I have been reading quite a bit on the sump system and I've found lots of posts with problems related to HoB overflows.

I am looking into buying an ehiem 2080 for my 155Gallon now. Not sure if I can get it cheaper now, but I guess the price will be the same as a sump system :)

I am definitely going to setup a sump system for my next tank as I will probably get a drilled one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts