British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I have a "reef" tank with a few soft corals. It has two side-by-side fixtures, one for each half of the tank, each running an 18" t8 bulb. I really want to increase the range of corals that I can keep by upgrading my lighting from t8 to t5 HO. I have very little knowledge of lighting technology, and all of the "retrofit" kits that I see for sale are so frigging expensive! Can anyone give me a general overview of what I have to do? Can I pay someone else to retrofit my light fixtures? How much would it cost me? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
depends on what you want to spend.if you want to increase the range of corals i would go led or metal halide.if you are ever in burnaby you could pop by my house and see various led lighting in the price range of $100-$5000

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately, high intensity lighting for a 36" tank is always going to be expensive. Retro-fit kits are great, but you need to know how to properly work with wiring, and I would personally never trust a stranger to retro-fit one of my lights (since you are dealing with electricity and water close together.

How deep is the tank?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I would spend the money and go Metal Halide 250watt with a nice parabolic reflector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts