British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the plant in the middle a Melon sword?

Why is the chute coming out of the water as I thought it stays in the water with little plants growing off of it?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not sure what kind of plant you have, but it looks like it is ready to flower - that suggests you have the ideal growing conditions for that one - looks good :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was one of those original plants when I initially setup my tank and I can't remember what it's called. Never had a plant flower from my tank before, so this will be interesting.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This was unexpected, as I was hoping my Tiger Lotus would flower.

amazing!!! fertilize with your fingers! maybe you'll end up getting seeds to share!
Never tought about that.....I'll give it it try.

wow, i thought planted tanks were lame till i saw that.
Its pretty cool, its like a underwater orchid plant.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have a red lotus too. i love the leaves you show in your picture, i hate it when my plant starts putting up the lotus pads that only float on the surface though!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
i have a red lotus too. i love the leaves you show in your picture, i hate it when my plant starts putting up the lotus pads that only float on the surface though!
Thanks....the lotus plants had just gotten a hair cut as I had pads covering 1/3 of my tank. I agree with you and it does look much nicer when you can see the leaf underwater.

·
Registered
743 Posts
very cool. thanks for posting that, I was having a bad day and those pics cheered me up a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It looks like an Echinodorus Ozelot. Very nice specimen you have there. I used to have one myself but the roots were hit by some kind of algae or fungus and I had to throw it away. Your echinodorus is propagating with the stem growing from it. If you let the stem grow out of the water it will bloom flowers, but if you let it stay underwater it will produce small plantlets that you can just cut and replant. I have been looking for that specie for a long time, if you decide to let it grow into small plantlets, I could trade you some other echinodorus species for a plantlet, if you do not mind.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Our sponsor sell Ozelot as well, www.aquafloranurseries.com

My Ozelot looks pathetic, I have it in a low tech low light tank, that one looks absolutely beautiful.

It looks like an Echinodorus Ozelot. Very nice specimen you have there. I used to have one myself but the roots were hit by some kind of algae or fungus and I had to throw it away. Your echinodorus is propagating with the stem growing from it. If you let the stem grow out of the water it will bloom flowers, but if you let it stay underwater it will produce small plantlets that you can just cut and replant. I have been looking for that specie for a long time, if you decide to let it grow into small plantlets, I could trade you some other echinodorus species for a plantlet, if you do not mind.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
very cool. thanks for posting that, I was having a bad day and those pics cheered me up a bit.
Thanks and I'm glad it help turned your day around

It looks like an Echinodorus Ozelot
You're right, it is an Ozelot as the leaves are quite large compared to the other swords.

Not sure if it was me trying to pollenate the flower, but each flower lasted less than 48hrs and then shrivelled up.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts