British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbour has 2 big, beautiful ponds with lily pads and overhanging trees. She'd like to have some frogs. Do any of you know where she could find some frogs or tadpoles in the Lower Mainland? (Not tropical frogs, of course)

Thank you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can try your luck by going to a large natural water body in the evening. You're from Vancouver, so I would try anything from the Lost lagoon (not natural ahah) near stanley park or even the fraser River off marine drive. The fraser river itself may not have the frogs, but I remember a slow wide stream that I would go to when I was young that led into the fraser river, and I would find a frog or two. ( probably toads now to think of it.) Also, you will find more luck at night time after the sun sets. Nocturnal, they come out in the night to eat insects and whatnot and return to burrows and the water in the day.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the great tips, everyone! AtomicPenguin told me that there are open ditches in Southlands (near Marine Drive) with tadpoles in them.

I used to catch tadpoles as a kid near Montreal - they were everywhere -- but have never seen tadpoles or frogs anywhere in Vancouver. It's been a long time since I've looked at Beaver Lake in Stanley Park, what a great place to visit (tadpoles or not).

I did not know that nighttime would be the best time for catching frogs and tadpoles, either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
LOL!
Like i said, just watch out! HAHA! Try going there when its nightfall!
I also know of another location where there's almost no one, there's tons of baby turtles and kois... blame it on the people release there own pets! Anyways, there's also some sunfish I'm being told of, but not sure =) Will be checking on there this weekend or early next week, and I'll let you know what I find! HAHA!
Anyways, the last time i wuz at the place I told you, tons of baby rabbits running around, so bring some carrots with you, LOL!
And TONS OF catfish, somehow... they look like pictus catfish, but just black, and they croak alot! but don't confirm on what i'm saying yet, I haven't been there for at least 6 months! I can definitely give it a check again if you want me to, since it's not effort to get there!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eternity302, if my friends and I go there, you can be sure that I'll come back with a rabbit or two, not just tadpoles! :)

I wonder if you can put catfish in a garden pond? (Each Pond is probably 15 feet by 15 or 20 feet, but they're not rectangular so I'm guessing)

LOL!
Like i said, just watch out! HAHA! Try going there when its nightfall!
I also know of another location where there's almost no one, there's tons of baby turtles and kois... blame it on the people release there own pets! Anyways, there's also some sunfish I'm being told of, but not sure =) Will be checking on there this weekend or early next week, and I'll let you know what I find! HAHA!
Anyways, the last time i wuz at the place I told you, tons of baby rabbits running around, so bring some carrots with you, LOL!
And TONS OF catfish, somehow... they look like pictus catfish, but just black, and they croak alot! but don't confirm on what i'm saying yet, I haven't been there for at least 6 months! I can definitely give it a check again if you want me to, since it's not effort to get there!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Ahhh... if you want baby rabbits, please head to the Richmond Automall!
I use to work there for a few years, there are WAY too many rabits running around... and the occasional deaths =(

The catfish are tiny little critters that I net, and they pretty much look like this

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
And if anyone was wondering... no.. I didn't take em home.. they were released back into the pond... i didn't have a tank back in the day! Only had one of those penn plax carriers! LOL!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. Don't laugh. I moved to BC as a teen and I remember one of my friends catching a catfish like that at a campground. But she told me that it was a freshwater shark -- and I believed her! lol

Don't worry, I'm not really going to bring home a rabbit, though I'd absolutely love to. I've already got two cats plus a stray cat and the rabbit might not fit in.

Ahhh... if you want baby rabbits, please head to the Richmond Automall!
I use to work there for a few years, there are WAY too many rabits running around... and the occasional deaths =(

The catfish are tiny little critters that I net, and they pretty much look like this

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
go to trout lake in vancouver. on the east side of the lake by the shallows and marsh, you'll find all types and sizes of tadpoles. if you want big bullfrogs that are the size of your hands. call the local golf courses and ask them if they have ponds. i played at a few of the courses in richmond, langley, and surrey. and found huge frogs in the ponds. but to keep it local, try trout lake. guaranteed!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Thanks for sharing!
Why don't we just start a google map and pin point what everyone's talking about =)

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of this incredible information, everyone! So many likely tadpole-finding spots that I've never heard of. Or, if I've heard of them (like Trout Lake) I've never noticed the tadpoles or frogs. I really appreciate all the help and have passed on this information to my neighbours, who have the ponds. I look forward to visiting their well-frogged ponds all summer!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts