British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up a new reef tank and have to decide if I want to paint the back or not and if so what color. I would appreciate any thoughts and or suggestions on this.

The tank is 48" X 30' x 18" high and if it makes any difference the lighting is the IceCap Reef Illuminations MH/T5/LED fixture.

·
Super Moderator
5,303 Posts
Typically reefers either paint their tank black or blue as it helps to hide algae (not coraline of course) on the rear. Black will absorb more light than blue though. Many years ago, back in my marine/reefer days, my tank's back was manufactured with stock black acrylic. It was an Old School Tru-Vu tank.

Hope that helps.

Stuart

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My humble vote goes to painting it black. I find it really gives tanks a lot of depth. In fact I am painting (black) the back of my 33G long just now.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I crinkled garbage bags, cheap ones and used packing tape to secure to back, nice slight translucency, as well as a bit of texture, and no commitment! I can change it up later if I want.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whoa, that's kinda neat. I wish I had another tank to try that on. Does moisture or salt creep ever build up on the back?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Interesting! Do you happen to have a pic? :)

I crinkled garbage bags, cheap ones and used packing tape to secure to back, nice slight translucency, as well as a bit of texture, and no commitment! I can change it up later if I want.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just used a regular garbage bag, and taped it with clear tape to the back of the tank.. it's not crinkled though. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyones input. I think i am going to go with dark blue...even though pink was awful tempting :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts