British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ~10 years old 55g tank. just notice that there are some caulking at the corners starting to peel off. I don't see any leak yet (touch wood)

Does tank require periodic reseal? If so, what sealant should be used? I presume anything in Home Depot is a big no-no in tank.

·
Registered
584 Posts
GE is very good as stated.
I have used other brands, but it must say good for aquarium use.
Dry tank
scrape off all old silicone with razor blade or olfa knife. New silicone will not stick/seal to old
Wipe clean with alcohol
lay down a border of painters tape.
silicone all 8 sides
Smooth with wet finger or tool
take the tape off
Let dry
have a drink

·
Registered
79 Posts
8 sides how?

GE is very good as stated.
I have used other brands, but it must say good for aquarium use.
Dry tank
scrape off all old silicone with razor blade or olfa knife. New silicone will not stick/seal to old
Wipe clean with alcohol
lay down a border of painters tape.
silicone all 8 sides
Smooth with wet finger or tool
take the tape off
Let dry
have a drink

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you usually move the fishes? is it safe to move them to home depot 5G bucket for a day or two?

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
How do you usually move the fishes? is it safe to move them to home depot 5G bucket for a day or two?
A clean 5 gallon bucket is fine, but prefer to use a tote tub as it has a little better air surface area. Put water from your tank, plants etc and your fish in whatever you use with a heater and an air stone and you will be fine for a couple of days while you reseal your tank There's a good DIY video on youtube you can follow. It explains everything Dietmar mentioned and also shows you how. Cheers Laurie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts