British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! so i have a 55 gallon that i have been running for about 3ish months. i have a goldfish in there that is doing really well but any time i test my water the ammonia levels come up really high. im getting frustrated with this tank and would really appreciate some advice as to whats going on.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
A couple questions for you. How often u doing water changes ? How many feelings and what? What are you using for filtration ? How many goldfish ? All goldfish excret large amounts of waste especially as they age and climb in size.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple questions for you. How often u doing water changes ? How many feelings and what? What are you using for filtration ? How many goldfish ? All goldfish excret large amounts of waste especially as they age and climb in size.
i change my water once a week. i have a aquaclear 70 (2 bags of ceramic media). only one goldfish

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
How much water do you change? How often are you feeding and what are you feeding? A goldfish is probably not a good choice to cycle a tank as mentioned they produce a lot of waste. I would do a large water change at least 75-100% and clean all your sand or gravel and start over without the goldfish and use a few guppies only to complete your cycle and don't over feed. You might want want to run some amamo chips or purigen in the ac 70 as well.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How big is the gold fish? Is it a small feeder fish or a big oranda type? Your AC70 might not be enough filtration if it's a big gold fish, you'll need something that can hold a bigger filter media either an canister filter or AC110 depending on what you will be housing on the tank long term. follow The Guys advice about water change.

Is.your tank still the green water as shown on your other posts?

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Goldfish produce a lot
Of waste . Add another filter and cut back food. Add some Seachem stability daily for 7 days and it should clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts