British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to finally start my tank journal. I'm building a 90g reef. I collected all the pieces for it almost a year ago, but then got too busy to get started. Finally have had time to get things moving. So, here's my journey as a newbie reefer. I am going to be doing a bean animal style overflow, so have a bunch of plumbing and stuff to do as part of the build.

A big thank you already to Anthony for helping me gather pretty much all the gear for this build. Through him I got my lights, skimmer, return pump, powerhead, and live rock. Also borrowed his drill bits to drill the tank and harassed him multiple times with every question that popped into my head. Thanks again.

The gear:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I built a new stand for this tank. It's built 6" higher than most stands so I had extra room for the skimmer.

Without paint:

Primed:

Completed:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I had to drill a few new holes in the tank for the bean animal overflow, and came up with a way to keep them all inline. I used this jig to start each hole:

After that, I drilled them through:

The back of the tank was painted blue, but I wanted to change it, so the blue was scraped off:

And it was prepped:

Then painted black (first coat):

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before it was painted, I installed the overflow box:

I also added the baffles to the sump:

The sump in the stand:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran into my first snag as well. I bought a 5g tank to use for an ATO reservoir, but during the build of the stand I changed the hinges I was using, and now am about 1/4" too narrow to fit the 5g beside the sump. So, if anyone knows where I can find a slightly narrower tank, or wants to buy a brand new 5g tank, let me know. I may have enough acrylic to build a custom tank for the ATO.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Looking good Daniel! Glad to see you get back into it again!

The details on the stand look amazing!

Reactions: target

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tony. It was a fun challenge to get that pattern to look good. And I'm happy to finally be moving ahead with this build.

·
Super Moderator
4,021 Posts
Nice !

Hey Daniel: Looks great so far, very nice stand and I see you have some good help there, 90 Gallon is the perfect size IMO. :cool:
Another salty "YES" you'll love reefing.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love that overflow in the back. Envious too, as I'd love to do it but don't want to drain my 125 and restart.
Yeah I like the overflow as well. You should go for it.

Hey Daniel: Looks great so far, very nice stand and I see you have some good help there, 90 Gallon is the perfect size IMO. :cool:
Another salty "YES" you'll love reefing.
Lol, thanks. I can't wait to actually get everything running.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Anthony. Tank is now back in the house. Need to lift it into the stand then get going on the plumbing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Last time I moved my 90, I asked my wife to help. Surprisingly she said yes. LOL.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My wife helped me carry the tank into the garage, and the finished stand into the house. Her sister helped me carry the tank back in, and my wife will help me lift it onto the stand. I'm borrowing glass suction cups from my brother to put it on the stand. the stand is designed so the bottom trim is hidden and I don't want to crush my fingers (or my wife's!!) trying to get it in there.

I've started gluing some of the plumbing, and painted the elbows that will be inside the tank. Here's a shot showing the overflow box, return piping, and unpainted elbows:

And a shot of all the plumbing pieces I will have to assemble:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With my wife and her sister I was able to get the tank onto the stand without any crushed fingers. The extra height is so nice, but I'm going to need a chair to work on the tank. LOL

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got most of the plumbing glued together today. Just have to do the longer runs and final connections. Here's what the set up looks like so far:

1 - 20 of 208 Posts