British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally decided to start a tank journal (as per recommendation) of my tanks. This lovely thread is the journey of my fluval edge. (and a bit of copy/paste from the old threads for now)

In the beginning
After not having a tank for about 10 years I decided to get back into the hobby. I recently purchased a fluval edge. (and am already wanting a bigger tank... funny how that works!)

I have had the tank for just under a month and started to add more inhabitants over the past week.

Current Stock:
3 zebra danios - active little punks constantly chasing eachother

1: Fire shrimp? - pretty active little guy, roams the plants/mosss

1: crystal shrimp? who seems to hide on the tree all day (comes out at night...) I think the danios harassed him at first so now he hides alot.

1. Apple snail - cool snail, excellent little cleaner who constantly makes his rounds.

and a moss ball that was added after the danio pic :)

-----

The second Month:

I upgraded my tank today (from 6g to 12g) and everyone seems to be happy.. minus the snail who hasnt left his shell since the move.

I added a few more plants in the back.
I still need to do some re-arranging as I neglected to move the thermometer and need to remove all the rocks that seem to be lacing the plants but I will do that next water change.. I didn't want to leave the fish in a bucket for toooo long.

In the near future i may add a small army of Celestial pearl danios's or possibly Emerald Dwarf Rasboras if i can find them.. otherwise I will have to decide on what else to add to the colony.

Current Stock:
3 zebra danios
4 neons
1 crystal shrimp
1 fire shrimp
1 apple snail

View attachment 13805

A few updated pics - 1/21/2013

Month 3:

So i took on the venture to swap out my substrate to a darker color. There is about a 2" base layer of miracle grow organic potting mix followed by about 2" of eco complete.
It was a messy venture... many water changes later its starting to look like an actual aquarium again!

I may move all the Cambodia to the right more (few chunks on left) and add a few more corkscrew vals on the left :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the 12G edge has been redone with about 2" of miracle grow organic potting soil caped with an inch or two of Eco-complete and a bunch more plants. Everything seems to be growing well. The inhabitants are still the 4 neons, 12 CPD's, 10 pumpkin shrimp (although i can only find 8...) and a nerite snail.

I'm much happier with the dark substrate!

12g tank

I'm really happy with how the tree is filling in.

Some CPD's

neons

Pumpkin Shrimp

The Apple/Nerite snail

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Beautiful!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Those CPDs are gorgeous! And your photos are amazing...!! Hope you're having better luck with the pumpkins.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Yay, tank journal! Thanks! :)

This moss tree really is fantastic. Beautiful, beautiful tank. And yes, your photography skills are not bad either! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Looks pretty awesome. Is that java fern on the tree?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed the Cabomba and pulled these out of the Chi to add a more vibrant color to the edge

I decided to impulse by a dozen Boraras urophthalmoides (Exclamtion mark Rasboras)
These guys a super tiny and i figured they would be good buddy's for the CPD's since i moved the Harlequins and Neons to the Osaka Forest tank

One of my CPD's checking out the upper grounds.

I also picked up some Echinodorus Tenellus to try as a foreground/carpet style low light plant

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I added another female pfr shrimp and 4 Dario Dario's (Red Indian scarlet badis). They are micro predators and very curious. I love to watch them explore.

I think the tank is probably a little overstocked now and may have to move some fish out later (tons of fish but all super tiny) they seem to be happy for now :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hey shift where did you get the scarlet Dario?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got 3 of them from a shop in town... i haven't seen them in there lately but ill take a peak for you next time i'm in there.. *(probably thursday as thats when they get their orders)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Did you get males or females and how are their temperaments? They are pretty.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Very cool. Now you are making me want some CPD's for my small tank. They are super cute. Great job with the tree, very natural looking :) I can't keep moss alive for some reason. Most likely because of the excel I use to combat BBA. Very inspiring tank. And I have to agree that you did a fine job of capturing the beauty in your photo's, mine are always blurry no matter how hard i try.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are very curious little fish always on the prowl for micro snacks.. At first I thought I had 3 males however now one is much paler than the other two and may be a female. Other then being picky eaters (and severely slowing down my pfr population..). I love the little guys

The next project is going to be figuring out how to get this chunk of wood into the edge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts