British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ha, first tank journal on the new BCA! Thanks to Nicklfire for getting the new site up so fast.

Here are some pics that I had posted before the crash.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Sanding is Done!

I finally finished prettying up the stand for the 130 tonight. I skinned it with some white pine and sanded it to perfection. I went for the clean look on this one, and I'm loving the results.

Black stain tomorrow. I think I'll find some rails and put sliding doors on this stand.

...and cleaning. I have the dustiest apartment of anyone you know :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
Wow I love the look of it. Canèt wait to see when it is painted.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, your apt. is fairly dusty and I saw it before the construction too.. J/K Matt :D! Stand is looking sweet. Nice, clean and the edge detail, dude.. you artist. I got a tank warming present that you might be interested in. I picked up some juvie blue zebra cichs and now I'm freaking out because they'll probably out-grow my 20's and 30's in a couple of months. Want? Free? 3 of em, lemme know as I know you'd care for these guys best right now and I'd like nothing better then to see them in a larger tank.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I can't wait to get this thing in action.

This place has never been as dusty as it is right now! If the neighbors hated power tools tonight, I'm not going to be making any friends with the vacuum tomorrow :D

I'd love to get those blue zebras, they'd be an awesome addition! Thanks a lot!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
WOW!!!
That's a great looking stand!!!
I'm to ashamed to show mine now... Thanks man. ;)

I'd leave it natural because you did such a great sand job.
Black is nice though, so much more modern looking.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ey you bet.. PM me if ever you're in the South Surrey area. Likewise, I'll PM you if I'm around yours. They're about 1-1.5 inch right now eating crushed flakes, bloodworms and sometimes pellets. I'm around Surrey in the evenings during weekdays and most weekends. Around Richmond during the work day.

Lemme know.

Best of luck with the project and thank god I don't live 1 floor down from you. :cool:

Thanks! I can't wait to get this thing in action.

This place has never been as dusty as it is right now! If the neighbors hated power tools tonight, I'm not going to be making any friends with the vacuum tomorrow :D

I'd love to get those blue zebras, they'd be an awesome addition! Thanks a lot!!!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll let you know for sure! Thanks again :D

Hahaha, I was kidding about the noise, this is THE most soundproof building I've ever lived in. It's unbelievable, I can blast music in the studio so loud that I can't hear myself speak, and it'll be a low, tolerable volume in the living room. No sound makes it from there to the halls.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
It looks really nice, u have done areally a nice job on the sanding... looks nice and smooth

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finished the last coat of stain tonight!

I'm about to go to bed after doing Monday morning with some European clients, but there's always time to post :D

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Very nice job! How do you find the Minwax combined stain/polyurethane? I like the ease of the one step, but I found even coverage to be a bit more difficult than doing stain and poly in two steps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Wow! Amazing how just a bit of stain can make it look professional! Makes me want to re-think about not finishing my two stands :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to stock this thing up either! Yesterday I set aside 5 Frontosa from IPU :D

I found the Minwax worked well, it was a little trickier to get coverage, but after 2 (liberal) coats, I'm really satisfied with the results.

The tank is full of dechlorinator right now, and I'm planning a rockfinding expedition for Saturday. I plan to have everything running this weekend.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Almost there...

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Yeah, with a new tank setup full of new water, I would make sure you got enough dechlorinator and also a nice strong powerhead in there to really stir up that water to break down the chlorine. A few people here have high some fish losses due to the recent high chlorine content of our local water.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, with a new tank setup full of new water, I would make sure you got enough dechlorinator and also a nice strong powerhead in there to really stir up that water to break down the chlorine. A few people here have high some fish losses due to the recent high chlorine content of our local water.
Yeah, for sure. I've got two powerheads running right now, and a 5x dose of dechlorinator. I used chlorine to sterilize the tank, and I'm not taking any chances. I'll have to replace this water in a few days, refill with water, put some treatment in, and let it sit for a few days. Then it's time to jump start the cycle with some sponge drippings and water from the 27 gallon :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts