British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank: Fluval Osaka 320L (84G)
Filter: Fluval FX5
Substrate: 1-1.5" of MGOPM capped with 2x bags of instant aquaria black fine gravel and 4-5x bags of Eco-complete.

Stock:
a small Army of CPD's (celestial Pearl Danios.) that i'm currently breeding
25-30 ish Rummy nose tetra (future addition)
Nerite snail
Shrimp (type TBD.. which ever are the most successful at breeding in the other thanks)

For the detailed version check out my Full Osaka Forest tank log

After a good 20 minuets of cleaning i decided i wanted to paint the back of the tank.

Many coats of spray paint later i had a nice smooth even black background.

Time for the water test.... unfortunately there was alot more scratches then expected but they are not overly obvious once the tank is filled with water. I will have to angle the light away from the front glass to hide them.. but the price was right so working with what i got!

Next i gathered my dirt'ed substrate supplies and got to work

3/4 a bag of MGOCPM, 2 bags of instant aquaria and 2 bags of Eco-COmplete later i had a nice base to work off of.. I plan on adding 2-3 more bags of eco-complete to build hils on the left/right side once my order shows up!

After about 4 days of soaking my driftwood i decided to start playing with designs and think i finally found a good layout.. Let me know what you think!

So I think this driftwood layout will look killer once i raise the sides (and the driftwood) with a valley between the 2.

The LED Nightlight Test.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I am SOOO envious of you getting this tank. Did you get it from April?

Plant that bad boy with high co2 ;)

Drift wood looks good. Or perhaps go for some smaller pieces that branch from the right side?

CPDs are pretty small? Are you gonna have hundreds in there to fill the tank?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did get it from april :)

No c02 for now but maybe some frets with the decently high lighting of the dual T5HO's... Which i will probably lower closer to the water..

The drift wood almost seems a bit big but i love the look of it...
I will easily have a 100+ CPDs. in no time (I probably have 15-20 3/4 size adult fry.. and another 30 wee ones growing up).. ill have it stocked in no time!
Aside from CPD's im thinking of picking up about 30 Rummy nose tetras to go with them.... any other suggestions or should i just stick with the 2?

It may get a few ottos later if i need any algae control and probably a nerite snail to help keep the tank looking good :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would go with number 2. Looks good, lots of places to attach plants to, and not competing for height with the piece on the left

·
Registered
542 Posts
nice tank! i like the no. 2 as well. i never got my cpd's to breed in my edge so they went in my daughters 30 gal hex community tank. they seem to be happier in there anyway. if you ever come down this way id take a few of them!! cant wait to see plants in there to complete the setup

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Looks good. Cant wait to see how this one turns out

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Looks good. Personally I'd go with only the one on the right hand side as a centre piece. Slightly to one side. It's a beautiful piece.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My vote goes to #9. :)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
My vote goes to #9. :)
Ditto. Big stump + branching roots. Went hiking yesterday and saw exactly this in a natural pool. Of course, there is much more space and substrate in nature....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My Vote Tally so far

Pic.... Votes
2...... 2
3...... 1
4...... 4
6...... 1
7...... 4
9...... 3
10.... 2

as for plants.. here are some pics of my stock pile/things i can pull from

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hm. What's that plant on the left in the 2nd to last pic?

The japonica and reineckii plants are must use imho :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since I plan on planting it fairly heavy and decided to keep it simple and go with just the 2 chunks of wood.

Now to keep or see if i can still return the other awesome chunk! .. I cant wait for the rest of the substrate to arrive so i can start planting this baby and fill it up!

Reckon - I have no idea what that plant was called.. The girl in the store didnt know either.. But its big and leafy so it is a defiante must in the tank.. I'm hoping it will be a good one to help hide the canister intake pipe which will be in the left hand corner of the tank (also on order..)

japonica will be in the mid/forground some where.. probally some where around the future "valley" to the left of the wood
reineckii (pinky one).. i'm not to sure where I will put it yet..

I'm also thinking of stealing a few stocks of Limnophila aromatica (i think) which can color up to a nice purple and green with the right nutrients.

I also recently got a ton of java moss which ill prob get some clumps growing on the Driftwood.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The substrate fairy finally arrived!!!

And i think i have the hardscape how I like it!!! Let me know if you have any suggestions before i start to fill it with water/plant.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Nice! Very nice.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts