British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick link to last update: HERE! march 16th
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So with my wife's bday approaching, i picked up a 10 gallon rimless from lamyfung. The tank was in awesome shape, not a scratch and still with its warranty sticker untouched inside. Took around 2 1/2 hours on transit there and back.... It sucked in this heat.

So last night we cleared part of the kitchen counter off heres how the tank looks:

i started by filling it half empty (i know, pessimist) and waited a long while and inspected the seams, no water in the seams and no water trickling out. The water was half from my tank, and half fresh, it happened to be water change day.

I grabbed my stingray 5 circulation pump from my 29 gallon, as the new scape really opened up the flow and its not needed in there anyways. I jammed it full of filter floss and left its own sponges alone so theres already some bacteria established. Then i grabbed the only lamp i could use in the slim space atm.

I wont be placing a background in her tank as i like the look of the kitchen tiles behind the tank, and it met her approval.

·
Super Moderator
6,764 Posts
Nice start, resealing a 10gal (wish it was rimless) myself to start up, was thinking of putting it in the kitchen as well. And I agree the Kitchen tiles will make a nice background.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 2 (today):

I started the morning by taking a walk to rona with my son (25 min each way) Browsed around for a new lamp, no luck they were all too short and improper orientation or socket. But the main reason i went there was simply to find her a substrate. I wanted pea pebbles, but they didn't have it, their bagged traction sand looked perfect for planting, but it would be a pain in the arse to wash and my wife wanted something a bit larger grade. So pea gravel it was.... Its way more than i need, but it never hurts to have leftover substrate.

As much as i appreciate quality aquarium substrates, the cost doesn't add up, when in most cases (for innert) they just wash it more and/or polish and ensure its aquarium safe. As expected, at rona there were a couple bags broken open, so i took a small handful, threw them in a water bottle shook the hell out of it, then i drained them off and used a packet of vinegar, no sizzle and foaming, good enough for a tank :D

walked home with that, my son in the stroller cause he was tired (30 lb) and 15 lbs of potatos from safeway.... that was some fun uphill

on to washing, the part i expected to take a while.

Only took 30 minutes for the large batch and about 10 for the smaller one i did. Took longer because i tried to grind the pea gravel together as much as possible to get off any debris.

I dumped the substrate into the tank, and it was barely cloudy at all, but still a bit, so i got the idea... hmmm i got a packet of unused carbon, i have a powerhead (rio 1400), and i got tons of filter floss, why make a cheap temp filter until i get an Aquaclear 30 or 50. This way i can have much more established media to toss into the filter when i get it. But man is it powerful even with all that media....

heres my temp filter:

and the full shot...

The color temp from the halogen lamp sucks... and the gravel looks a lot whiter than it actually :/ Also the filter will be on the right side of the aquarium so no wires will be in the back when it comes to the final display. Tomorrow we'll head to IPU to get 2 fishies to aid in the cycling.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
WOW, very creative idea once again, thanks! =)
And very impressive how you got all of it back home! LOL! When i read 25 minutes back and 25 minutes there... and then read rona and gravel.. OMG!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice idea with the carbon! So are you planning on added a lot of plants? :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
originally she wanted a betta, then she realised how much it limits other selections, so it'll be focused on a few guppies and a small school of bleeding hearts, with shrimpies.

It'll be planted, my best book i own for aquatic plants is filled with red stars, the plants she wants. Luckily i own two of the plant species so i can give the fishies for cycling some cover, but i want the aquaclear filter first before planting anything, the current is insanely strong atm with that powerhead in there

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Today we made a trip to IPU and My wife purchased 2 supermixed female guppies and 1 male tequila sunrise guppy. I stressed the fact that the tank could need a cycle and they may not survive so don't get attatched. IPU had no natural decor in for some strange reason :/

I got home and started testing the tank to see how much i'd need to adjust the KH to make these guys life a lil easier at first. PH was above 7.6... That i wasn't happy with, so i redid the vinegar test on my substrate, no fizzing still. Then i researched the source of the pea gravel, PH for the river was 7.0 to 8.0, so i cant be too much higher.

I also did a KH test, came out around 5-6 dKH, not bad. i figured since I was blasting the tank with a 420 GPH powerhead, the values are probably a bit higher than they normally would be. So i did a 60% water change to be on the safe side. I double dosed the water conditioner as recommended for new fishies. I'll be water changing 30 % daily just in case the gravel is leeching something besides a bit of carbonates into the water column.

Because i was unsure of how high the PH was, i acclimatized them over a period of 3 hours. During which, one of the females (orange tailed) jumped out of the container, between the fridge and the cupboard. I noticed pretty quickly luckily, pull out the fridge and found her still alive, but her tail got stuck to a piece of paper. Managed to prod her gently back in the tank with only minimal tail damage.

During the evening i went to pick up the AC30, bad traffic for transit... a 25 minute trip turned into over 40 minutes thx to a major road being dug up and causing me to miss a transfer. Got home eventually, gave the filter a good rinse, and started packing in the media. Managed to fit all the floss from the red cup and the stingray in there, and the Activated carbon. In two weeks i'll remove the carbon, any impurities should be gone by then. started the filter up and it worked perfectly, just had to get a bit of 3/8" hose to wedge the filter more level, since the rimless is a lot thinner than a rim would be.

To give the guppies something for cover, i threw in a couple small anubias nanas i have from my 29 gallon ( i got tons of the stuff). I wont do much more with plants atm, cause the lighting sucks, once i get a cfl lamp, i'll start stocking her tank as she wanted. I gave the guppies a feeding just so i could test the nitrogen cycle later on.

I did the tests, im pretty happy with the results.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 ppm

Looks like the media from my old tank may have been enough :D Still time will tell so i'll keep a close eye on it

the guppies and anubias

AC30 with the pvc hose wedged to level it :p

and yet another tank shot:

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
Nice set-up :) I would suggest uprooting the Anubias and tying it to a piece of driftwood or rock. Otherwize the rhizhome will probably rot and the plants may die. I do have a curvy piece of Manzanita that would be awesome for the job if your interested ;). It is kind of U shaped. PM me if interested.

Best Regards,

Stuart

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
the rhizomes are mostly exposed, but they can be buried a bit despite common belief, their nutrient uptake slows a bit if light isnt hitting the rhizome it slows down the growth greatly. I've succesfully been growing and propagating them your years now at the substrate level, love the look of them a foreground. these ones are likely temporary in this tank though.

as for the Manzanita,i was hoping to get a hold of some for this tank, as i said ipu was totally out of all natural wood :/

right after water change, ph is 7.4 and hardness is 2dkh, i'll measure tomorrow before next water change to see how much it buffered it up, if its around the same i'll delay a day. With luck it could have been dust in the gravel raising the PH/KH. Checked ammonia aswell before the change, 0 ppm still :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
CRS fan was kind enough to let me know he had a nice piece of manzanita for my tank. So today i rushed over there to pick it up, and he threw in some nice clippings of Hygrophyla corymbosa var. salicifolia and a plantlet of Anubias nana 'petite' attached to the wood.

When i got home it was tank layout time, how does she want the wood to be oriented. She figured one way looked like a leo sign, and since thats her sign she was sold :p Next i grabbed a lotus from my tank, one of the plantlets i grew out for long time now, can't really call it a plantlet, but its the second of which to leave my tank *shed tear.* also decided to throw in some clippings of glosso i missed on clean up day.

Also i placed a piece of 5/8" hose slit open around the outtake of the aquaclear, much less turbulence below surface but still some decent agitation at the surface. Now i popped into petcetera the other day because my bank is next door, clearance on filter sponges, so i bought what i thought was a block of sponge, ends up it was split in half. I tried sewing it together, but it looks like crap (an understatement) so i'll hold off on the sponge filter in this tank for now.

heres some pics on how it looks. I left the right side open since it'll likely get 1 or 2 large rocks

heres some pics of the set up now (left to right). Starting to look like a tank now :D Just in time for her bday tomorrow

and the fishies, they're slowly gettin their colour back, im sure the plants will help now

the female who took the dive to the floor between the counter and the fridge, notice the tail damage from the ordeal.

the only pick that really showed the petrol yellow orange colouring of the male. he's a hell of a lot brighter than this though.

Parameter wise, the PH rose much slower this time to 7.6, ammonia still low. I've started metricide and trace for now, i may add nitrates twice a week

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Great tank. I agree it will get better when the plants grow :)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the orange tail female is in rough shape, half her body looks like dropsy. I expected her to not survive when i first picked her off the ground, but it just seemed to not happen, but when lights came on today it looks like it'll be a sure death for her. I'll wait and see though, she's still eating and swimming fine and the male isn't harassing her

1 - 20 of 67 Posts