British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of getting a turtle, in paricular, a Reeves turtle. However, I have a few questions before I do:

1. Where can I buy a reeves turtle? Anyone seem them at lfs?
2. What does everyone use for UVB lighting? Would a PC light used for plants give off enough UVB?
3. How long should each type of light stay on? ie. Basking (heat), UVB
4. What water parameters should they have? ie. pH, GH, KH

Any other tips appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
The only Reeves I've ever seen is one I found for a friend 3 or 4 years ago.
He drove out from Edmonton to pick it up.:D
For UV I use the spiral screw in florescents.
For heat I use a ceramic reptile heater.
You can use a regular light bulb as a heat source.
Water conditions for turtles are not as critical as with fish.
I test for nitrate ever once in a while.
I just do regular large water changes.
I've never kept a Reeves before, but, I think they are semi aquatic, so they require a little different set up than a Red eared slider or a map would.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea it looks like it going to be a little tough finding a Reeves so I may expand my search to Maps and maybe one of the smaller painted species.

What kind of turtle do you have?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
envious of you ngo911. those fly river turtles are awesome.
i'm surprised to see so much turtle selection at fraser aquariums. i may even drop by there to take a peak myself.
lol I wish I had a FRT... but just starting small

You just missed one. I can't remember who but someone was selling one just this week. It's sold now though.
Yea I made an offer to the buyer of those turts but no luck.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yea it looks like it going to be a little tough finding a Reeves so I may expand my search to Maps and maybe one of the smaller painted species.

What kind of turtle do you have?
Maps are nice turtles and if you get a male they stay small.
Actually all my females aren't that big either.
Southern painteds stay fairly small, both males and females.
King Ed has southerns sometimes.

I've reduced my collection from 18 to 12 now.
1 Chinese golden thread.
1 Florida red bellied cooter.
2 Mississippi maps
3 false maps.
2 New guinea red bellied side necks.
2 Northern diamondbacked terrapins.
1 Red eared slider that was born without eyes.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you could always catch one at Salish Park in Chilliwack! So many throw out koi and turtles in that pond... I think they even discovered some new hybrids there
lol I've heard it's not very successful when trying to keep a wild caught turtle. They don't handle the stress very well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried that though...

Maps are nice turtles and if you get a male they stay small.
Actually all my females aren't that big either.
Southern painteds stay fairly small, both males and females.
King Ed has southerns sometimes.

I've reduced my collection from 18 to 12 now.
1 Chinese golden thread.
1 Florida red bellied cooter.
2 Mississippi maps
3 false maps.
2 New guinea red bellied side necks.
2 Northern diamondbacked terrapins.
1 Red eared slider that was born without eyes.
Wow very nice collection! I'll have to check King Ed then, it's on the way home from work. Thanks for the recommendations, you appear to be the turtle guru on BCA based on your collection :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
lol I've heard it's not very successful when trying to keep a wild caught turtle. They don't handle the stress very well. Wonder if anyone has ever tried that though...
The turtles in Salish pond are all turtles that were released by owners who no longer wanted them. :( I only saw one in there this year when I looked.

If you want a nice turtle, there is a New Guinea red bellied sideneck at Island Pets Unlimited.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just did a search on New Guinea Red Bellied Side Neck and it looks like they can grow up to 10 inches. I'm hoping to get something smaller, maybe 5-6 inches and easy for beginners. I think that leaves me with Southern Painted, Maps (I like the Texas Map), and Reeves. I will definitely check out King Ed and Fraser Aquariums.

It's unfortunate that owners throw them in the pond like that, since there is an organization that shelters reptiles, similar to the SPCA

·
Registered
394 Posts
The only maps you will find locally are either Mississippi maps or False maps.
Most stores don't know the difference between the 2 species.
Most of the turtles I've seen locally labeled as Mississippi maps are actually False maps or crosses between the 2.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How long should each light be on? Ie heat lamp and UVB lamp. Should there be a source of heat over the basking area at all times?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
theres maps and musk turtles at king eds last time i went..

also about wild caught turtles, the red eared sliders will be the ones to catch as they would have been former pets are an invasive species so you would be doint the world a favor

as far as the local painted turtle they are endangered so i would avoid those

·
Registered
394 Posts
How long should each light be on? Ie heat lamp and UVB lamp. Should there be a source of heat over the basking area at all times?
I keep the lights and heaters over my tanks on about 10-12 hours a day.
Most aquatic turtles sleep in the water at night so they shouldn't need a heat source at night.

·
Registered
743 Posts
google search reptile rescue and turtle adoptions.
I was told recently that there are several local networks looking for adoptees and fosters for different types of turtles.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a woman in Richmond named Val that runs a reptile rescue out of her house.
That is where I found the Reeves turtle for my friend in Edmonton.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts