British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have a 75Gallon Planted that I am thinking of switching over to salt water.

This idea just came to me an hour ago (since someone else here is also doing something similar).

I am thining about FOWLR setup.

I was wondering how much it would cost to change it over and what options would I have for fish stock in a 75Gallon tank? I am interested in SW Angels.

I have a stingray stand, so I am not sure if I can fit a proper sized sump in there. Hopefully its not a requirement and I can get by with ehiem 2260.

I guess I will need to buy Aragonite Sand, Live Rock (cured? uncured?), refractometer (whatever that is... check salinity?) and a HoB skimmer (since I dont have sump?)

I am a total noob in saltwater and I am looking for advice and guidance from the experts.

I will be bugging Anthony tonight :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Now, keep in mind that I've only been into SW for less than a year, so I'm still a major newb too, but I too came from a freshwater background. So maybe I can offer a little help.

First of all, I don't think you'll need the eheim. Your live rock is going to be your biological filtration.

Secondly, as I'm finding out, a refugium is a great idea. If you can't do a sump (or don't want the noise) then you can get a HOB refugium to grow macro algea and 'pods (tasty critters for fish to munch on) in.

As for live rock - how much are you planning on getting? I mean, as far as scaping goes? I'd grab as much as possible. Someone else can better tell you the recommended amount for a 75gal tank, but I recommend that you hunt around for a good price - don't pay for cured live rock, and buy a base of "dead" rock that your new live rock will "revive". I'd also avoid spending too much money on sand - if you want to, buy a little bag of Caribsea Live sand and mix it in with something cheaper. Could make things go a little faster.

...but if you're anything like me, then you're going to enjoy the cycling process in saltwater. You'll see all sorts of critters come to life from the rock and sand. And you have no idea how attached yo can get to hermit crabs. ;)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can get the sand for $1 a pound at KingEd's (30lbs bag for $30), so I was thinking 2 bags would be more than enough. I could probably get by with 1 bag.

As for live rock, I've read 1lb per gallon, but I have no experience so I would need to rely on advice from you all :) I am planning to keep Saltwater Angels, so I am assuming they need the swimming space. I can already tell that 75Gallon would be a bare minimum for them. If this project becomes a success then I might convert my 125Gallon to salt water as well, but we will talk about that later.

From you comment above, I am assuming you meant that only a fraction of all the rocks have to be live rock and the rest can be base rock and the bacteria can grow on the base rocks over time?

I dont understand the filter part. I dont need to use ehiem at all? Is it safe to only rely on the live rocks for filtration and not use any filters? Why do people have sumps then? :confused:

I've never thought about refugium, I guess I will look it up. Is it a necessity?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for info on what I need to get in order to get this up and running.

eg: Good HoB Skimmer for 75Gallon - Make/Model and howmuch it costs etc

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you get a decent HOB refugarium you can put filter media in there. But forgive me a little ignorance in regards to the Eheim/canister filters - I'm sure people use them. I'm just not entirely sure they're needed, if you've got a 'fuge, liverock, skimmer and macro algea.

And yeah, as far as live rock goes - the base rock will become "live rock" over time.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Already read through it before posting :) Thanks for the link.

ive been debating it lately too and found this helpful... (and it answers some of ur questions)
http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/marine-chat-10/saltwater-beginners-part-1-getting-started-1791/
im eagerly awaiting part 2 :p
i decided to wait until i can get a larger tank for my africans and then turn my 37g into a micro reef and im hoping i can convert my 10g into a sump for the 37g....
So for the live rock, can I get lets say 5-10lbs of live rock and then the rest as base rock?
I am assuming base rock would be the same as limestone rock? I have about 30 lbs in my african setup for about a year. Would that certify as live rock? I am assuming the beneficial bacteria are same in both salt water and fresh water?

If you get a decent HOB refugarium you can put filter media in there. But forgive me a little ignorance in regards to the Eheim/canister filters - I'm sure people use them. I'm just not entirely sure they're needed, if you've got a 'fuge, liverock, skimmer and macro algea.

And yeah, as far as live rock goes - the base rock will become "live rock" over time.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No - it's totally different bacteria. Liverock and sand also contain tons of different microorganisms, beyond just the bacteria.

And you'll want to get porous, calcified baserock. Not only because it'll look like it matches, but because all the critters need networks of holes and tunnels to live in. Most likely you'll want old coral skeletons, or used rock that someone's got sitting in their garage.

Again, somebody with more experience will be able to tell you proper ratios, but I think you'll want something like 20lbs of live rock.

The limestone will be OK as far as decoration, but you'll get little to no benefit from it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I dont get any use from limestones then they are out of my list :)

I have been looking at some pics of live rocks and I can definitely see the difference. They look very porous and hence even a big piece of rock would weigh light.

No - it's totally different bacteria. Liverock and sand also contain tons of different microorganisms, beyond just the bacteria.

And you'll want to get porous, calcified baserock. Not only because it'll look like it matches, but because all the critters need networks of holes and tunnels to live in. Most likely you'll want old coral skeletons, or used rock that someone's got sitting in their garage.

Again, somebody with more experience will be able to tell you proper ratios, but I think you'll want something like 20lbs of live rock.

The limestone will be OK as far as decoration, but you'll get little to no benefit from it.
I am thinking of getting Aragonite Sand (the same as "live sand")

Don't buy crushed corl sand get the live sand

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've decided to not upgrade and get a new tank (full setup) instead. One of Anthony's tanks :D:D:D

I will be selling my 75Gallon soon since I dont really have the space for another tank. If anyone is interested in my 75Gallon Planted, PM me :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I currently have a 75Gallon Planted that I am thinking of switching over to salt water.

This idea just came to me an hour ago (since someone else here is also doing something similar).

I am thining about FOWLR setup.

I was wondering how much it would cost to change it over and what options would I have for fish stock in a 75Gallon tank? I am interested in SW Angels.

I have a stingray stand, so I am not sure if I can fit a proper sized sump in there. Hopefully its not a requirement and I can get by with ehiem 2260.

I guess I will need to buy Aragonite Sand, Live Rock (cured? uncured?), refractometer (whatever that is... check salinity?) and a HoB skimmer (since I dont have sump?)

I am a total noob in saltwater and I am looking for advice and guidance from the experts.

I will be bugging Anthony tonight :D
Hahaha...I'm assuming its me your talking about? Nothing against planted tanks and freshwater, but at some point I think you just need a change and new challenge. Although I've done saltwater before so its not so much a new challenge but a change to keep the hobby interesting. Good luck with your new set up.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If you could find a used Deltec, that would be ideal, not to mention a heck of alot cheaper than new. I ran a FOWLR for a while and from my limited experience, the MCE600 was a great HoB skimmer. If you could do a in sump or under the stand skimmer, that would be a better as you could hide some of the noise as well as not face space limiting issues. Also, the HoB skimmers tend to have tiny collection cups which will force you to empty the cup often.

As for live rock, you should definitely get the 1lb per gallon at the minimum. I did what you are considering, that is, buy base rock and seed with live rock. You have to be very patient with that though...as it takes a good 3 to 6 months to get base to look like live. ie. coraline algae covered. I used base rock from Bulk Reef Supply which was really great looking "dead" live rock. As the live rock will effectively be your filter, you have to be very careful in stocking until the live rock is fully seeded with all the bacteria, algae, etc.

I had my tank for about a year but lost interest in it as everything was just too painstakingly slow for me. I now enjoy my friends' SW tanks. :D

I have a refractometer for sale and also a Next Reef MR1 media reactor if you are interested. Both are 99.5% new. LOL. PM me.

Can someone let me know if a HoB skimmer is advisable?

I am thinking of getting one of the below, but I am not sure about their reliability and maintenance.

Coralife Super Protein Skimmer (Needle wheel) - up to 125 Gallon
Coralife Super Protein Skimmer (Needle wheel) - up to 220 Gallon

·
Super Moderator
6,610 Posts
He's probably buying my 120g with 90g wide sump/seahorse tank setup. It will come with an Aqualight Pro (2x150w, 2x96w PC actinic & 3 1w blue led moonlights), as well as ASM G4x skimmer (could handle almost twice this volume), return pump, custom stand, live sand, 100 lbs of cured live rock, and some fish, snails & macroalgae.

Plug & play unit (210g total volume on a 4'x2' footprint:D)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Wow, plug and play...that's exactly what anyone would want if they are diving into SW for the first time.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
even better, plug and play including setup! LOL. gotta love BCA.

·
Registered
124 Posts
.....jealous!!!!

Although, like I said earlier, I found the curing/cycle process to be super interesting. Even if it did take a while. :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts