British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
I don't like to announce arrivals until they arrive so I have not said anything about these.
We received roughly 24 pieces of Sulawesi Cardinal shrimp tonight! They look great! We have acclimated them and we are confident they will settle in. They will be available Tuesday for $16.99!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW!!! That looks fantastic! Are they difficult to keep?
Some say yes, some say no. I will let you know my opinion in a few days. We don't generally have issues with shrimp and we were careful to adjust the parameters in the shipping water to match the system. The levels were fairly similar as it turns out so just a minor adjustment was needed.
They are high oxygen dependent, prefer a higher pH with medium hardness.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If they turn out to be fairly hardy, are you going to consider carrying them more regularly in the future, Grant? I'd love to buy some, but this batch is coming in just before I'm going to be away from home for three weeks...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Very nice, any special substrate needed to keep these guys? many locals have attempted to keep these alive but have not had successful attempts :(

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If they turn out to be fairly hardy, are you going to consider carrying them more regularly in the future, Grant? I'd love to buy some, but this batch is coming in just before I'm going to be away from home for three weeks...
It is all based on availability. I have been trying to import them for a while and jumped at the opportunity. For sure I will try but they are wild and stock is always limited.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice, any special substrate needed to keep these guys? many locals have attempted to keep these alive but have not had successful attempts :(
The Cardinals are supposed to be some of the hardiest in the genus. As this is our first import I cant comment too much yet but hobbyists in Europe have had great success with these guys.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biggest issue with these guys and others seems to be shipping temperature. Even at this time of year they travelled cooler than I would like. Several molted during acclimation which is usually a good sign if the molt is clean. The KH was 4 and the GH was 7 in the pack water.
I have not seen them this morning yet, fingers crossed!:)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I've kept cardinals for over a year and I believe they are just incredibly beautiful! I have only a few harlequins, do you think you will be getting some in?

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've kept cardinals for over a year and I believe they are just incredibly beautiful! I have only a few harlequins, do you think you will be getting some in?
I would like to. It really depends on how the recent Cardinals move. Ordering quantities are high with most shrimp so local demand does tend to dictate.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I would like to. It really depends on how the recent Cardinals move. Ordering quantities are high with most shrimp so local demand does tend to dictate.
Very true =) I'll be on the lookout for any new species of sulawesi to add to my collection =D

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was just at IPU and got to see these guys first hand for the first time. Very beautiful looking shrimp (albeit smaller than I expected). If I wasn't a poor student, I would definitely have bought some. As it is, I spent a good few minutes agonizing over whether I should just go ahead and get some anyways. Maybe next time, when I have some more money saved up...

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These little guys max out at 1". They are not a large shrimp that is for sure. All the Caridina sp. are quite small.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wished you gave some hint as you were bringing them in as setup, "proper cycling" and some algae growth is going to eat up a month or so.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wished you gave some hint as you were bringing them in as setup, "proper cycling" and some algae growth is going to eat up a month or so.
I hear you. Unfortunately I have learned to keep my mouth shut until I hae for sure confirmation and even then, I need to see how they arrive. How about this, I am bringing in everything! At one point or another!:D

I will say that it is "likely" there will be another shrimp order next week!;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.