British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, just thought I share!
No one seem to believe me and everyone thinks i'm crazy everytime I mention about my wifey's favourite fish!
We pretty much got back into fish just because of him!

Here's a balloon molly x pearl gourami! At least that's what I think!
Shaped of a balloon molly but with all pearl gourami markings!

Super healthy, strong and a good eater! But not aggressive at all, which is a great thing! =)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Clue, I wish I knew, and thank you!
I had two, one died, the pet shop starved it WAY too long before I could take it home and save it... by the time I got him home... he was next to dead... could hardly swim, and refused to eat! At least he died in a tropical garden and buried in a flower bed...~ Sigh... though I wish I could save him!

But believe it or not, there's another wierd cross
Balloon Molly x Sword Tail
Someone bought it before i did =(

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn't believe it!
Richmond Center Pet Habitat!
They haven't had one for 2 years now~ I've always been waiting...

They are actually very very hardy! They have survived over heat... have been the very few fish that didn't get ich and fin rot when I had an outbreak in the tank. He even survived my jello co2 that pumped into my tank and wiped out 1/3 of the population! And the great thing about it is that they got those gourami whiskers, they use it as an arm to wack others to get to the food during feeding! LOL!
They were quite a price to pay though...
And dun be envious, it kind of drive you nuts to come home everyday just to ensure he's still alive! And when ur feeding, you can get a headache trying to drop it above his head to ensure he gets a good share!

LOL! This is how much we love him!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I seriously don't believe richmond pet habitat would have such things but then again, they do do a good job with their tanks and keeping their fish super healthy.

You're not alone with ich attacks and the coming home to check for casualties. Boy, sound like a freak aquarist.

Nonetheless, hope your tank recovered fully from your jello episode. I read in another forum, and told myself just to keep my setup simple for the time being.

I just finally won my battle with ich. Lost my cories but still have my rasboras.

Sorry this reply got a bit off topic.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, that's fine! BUT WOW, you're going through that eh? I had a bad battle from the aftermath of the jello CO2, it stressed out all the fish that i had constant disease for weeks until now!

Anyways, you'll be pretty suprised what I've picked up for the last two years at Pet Habitat! Let me name the wierd ones, and ofcourse, most of these wierd things I didn't pick up!

Leopard Perch (I think that's what they're called)
Panda Garra
Hillstream Loach
Giant Gourami (I know, they're idiots on this one)
Albino ID Sharks
Royal Pleco
Balloon Molly x Pearl Gourami
Balloon Molly x Sword Tail
Archer Fish
Denisoni Barbs
Threadfin Rainbowfish
Balloon Golden Ram (Have one)
Balloon German Blue Ram (Have one)
Steel blue apistogramma (YES, i have 3, all steel blue head to tail)

=) That's bout all I can remember for now! They have the wierdest things sometimes!
And the most recent odd thing is... last week I went in... $29.88 for an Irian red rainbowfish that's 2"? LOL! =) Not flaming on them, as I shop there alot, but that's funni~

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Well, I wish I had a big tank like yours. I only have a nano 5g. Been having a lot of success until I go on vacation/business trips. I had my tank self sufficient for weeks on end.

Right now, just resisting on overstocking my tank.

I was soooo choked with my first ich outbreak two months ago. Depleted my bio-stock. Started putting medication and my glosso started going yellow. Its finally back to normal when I switch to using paraguard.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're only settled with a 5 gallon nano? WOW, i could not control myself on just one 5 gallon!
=) Maybe I should post up my main tank to tempt you! LOL!

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Don't do it! I'm actually content with what I have at the moment.

I just don't have the room to have a big tank at the moment. I'm planning for a 33gallon long with co2 setup and the whole sha-bang in a few years.

I've just got into planted tanks two months ago and having some success with it. Took some small clippings from others and have ended up growing them into bunches.

Just seeing if I can locate some pygmy cories to add to my tank. Not going to take any chances with bigger sized fish.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes... overstocked? I know! :rolleyes:
The new tank on the right is cycled already, that's just a picture few days ago! Once my arm gets better so i can stick my arm in there to prune, I will be planting the whole new tank with new plants!

But that's all for now :rolleyes: Hope i tempted you, ahhaa~

Attachments

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LoL!
Darn
I thought i could getcha to expand LOL
Well, i couldn't fit an 8 ft tank into the house, especially not through the stairways! So I ended up with 2 x 4ft =) Can't complain! Just now two times the work.. i so wish it wuz just one, easier maintenance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice, I've seen those actually at Coquitlam Pet Habitat too actually. I was so weirded out the first time I saw them!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Nice, I've seen those actually at Coquitlam Pet Habitat too actually. I was so weirded out the first time I saw them!
Yea I have seen them in the ccoquitlam one too. I believe they had another fish that was also balloon molly shaped.

·
Registered
309 Posts
hmm interesting fish you got there! i highly doubt a molly and a gourami could hybridize- being that mollys give birth to baby fry. i assume - he is either a deformed gourami or that the "balloon" shape is bred in, like it is in many fish. honestly i hate the balloon look... i dont understand why there soo popular!

but its in the eye of the beholder!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm interesting fish you got there! i highly doubt a molly and a gourami could hybridize- being that mollys give birth to baby fry. i assume - he is either a deformed gourami or that the "balloon" shape is bred in, like it is in many fish. honestly i hate the balloon look... i dont understand why there soo popular!

but its in the eye of the beholder!
It's definitely not deformed, as you can order a ton from singapore bred like this! But if what you say is correct, I have no clue.. LOL, i guess your answer could be right!

And i definitely do agree, they look wierd.. but they definitely grew on me! Now I have tons of different wierd balloon shaped fish! LOL! But then again.. i remember how much I use to hate the balloon look!

·
Registered
700 Posts
I saw some balloon kissing gouramis before at Petland

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I googled my strange new baby and found your site.

I have some actively breeding mollies, balloon mollies, and one honey gourami mixed with swordtails and plecos.

One of the off spring is a honey gourami x yellow balloon molly. Bright yellow upper and tail fins, brown upper and rear body, and vertical tiger stripes. The belly is silver.

Another is a female sword x sunburst molly. Three orange lateral lines, orange body, yellow belly, and HUGE, 3" at 90 days.

Most surprising is the other tank has a 4" platinum lyre tail molly and mixed rainbows. You guessed it, 100 fry, 40% males. Only 10 left after predation, 4 males with color. waiting to see how they color up completely, so far they have blue bodies, spotted upper fins, and a hint of green.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts