British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for tightly schooling fish? They will be in a 125G tank with 5 silver dollars so I want them to be a colour other than silver and red, lol.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I would go for denisoni barbs! They're pretty much the only schooling fish that i've ever owned that schools tightly in every different sized tanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Bigger fish that is fun to school CLOWN LOACHES!

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
cardinals school pretty tightly in a larger tank. In a tank like 36" long, they are everywhere. But with space like a 6 foot tank, they gather up and form tight school.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Piranhas shoal pretty well together... ohh other than red and silver... nm

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
its tru.. its a good way to make 100 cardinals look like a fist full of fish.. tho I find during feeding they spread out

it looks quite funny as you see this tight bonded group then "poof" the tank is full of floresent spots as they scramble for food

cardinals school pretty tightly in a larger tank. In a tank like 36" long, they are everywhere. But with space like a 6 foot tank, they gather up and form tight school.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmmmm, lots of silver and red....hahahahaha

Rummy nose are the ones I want but I was hoping for something that will contrast the silver dollars. Anyone watch the movie Life Aquatic? Can't someone just magically think up something like the leopard shark thingy (but tiny)? lol

No, in all seriousness, I have a bunch of sterbai in my other tank so I think I will go with the cardinals at this point. I do also have archer cories, a tiger panaque, a rubber lip pleco, and my lovely banjo in the tank :)

Keep suggesting things though!! Think small and tightly schooling :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You could look into danios, small or large.Rainbow fish (various) are another.Cardinals or rummynose are what i have at the moment and they seem to school tightly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree with the Denisoni Barbs, they are gorgeous with the greens, reds and yellow and they really school nicely. Plus they get a little bigger which is nice

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Theres also the option to go for two similar kinds of fish that wont school together despite looking like they would.

The Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) and Espe's Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei). When their schools intersect, its neat to see fish racism at its finest ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Would love to denisoni barbs in a big school....would be pricey!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theres also the option to go for two similar kinds of fish that wont school together despite looking like they would.

The Harlequin Rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha) and Espe's Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei). When their schools intersect, its neat to see fish racism at its finest ;)
If I could "like" your comment, I would :D

That's actually a neat thought though. With 6ft of space that might work well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts