British Columbia Aquariums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly new to me planted discus tank (tank was running for over a year before tho).

today I got home and noticed one of the discus was rather dark... so I did a water change...

after draining the water, I started to notice a bunch of TINY,,,, i mean really tiny bugs on the glass just above the water line. They where beige in colour.

I would take a pic, but I think they might me too small.

are these guys harmfull?
how to get rid of them while keeping the fishes happy?

·
Registered
480 Posts
do they "skitter/hop/jump" around..on the glass??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they seem to only walk around the glass... they have really tiny legs.

I have not noticed any fish eating them yet (tank of discus, rams, kribs, rasporas, endlers, etc)...m but then again, i've never seen them under the water line

·
Registered
480 Posts
thats weird...you can actually see the legs??

i would do a water change and wipe down all walls, completely. They probably arent harmful because if they were you would have had problems already..but its always nice not to have bugs hanging around. :)

Hopefully someone may know what these are..

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have seen those bugs in my shrimp tank...I think they are harmless

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
They're probably Copepods.

This is how I heard them being talked about by another affected member's shrimp tank. You should be able to make out prolonged antennae, along with the legs.

If not, it might be something else. If they are, they're harmless and nothing to freak out about.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If they're above the waterline, they're probably not copepods. Whatever they are though, they're probably harmless. I've noticed probably similar tiny little bugs on the surface of the water in my tank, hopping around like fleas on the floating plants but they've done no harm.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
If they're above the waterline, they're probably not copepods. Whatever they are though, they're probably harmless. I've noticed probably similar tiny little bugs on the surface of the water in my tank, hopping around like fleas on the floating plants but they've done no harm.
what you're describing are spring tails. they're more than just harmless- they eat, among other things, molds, fungus and dead plant material. excellent clean up crew, you may also find them in the soil of your house plants. Most excellent fish food.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have *tiny bugs jumping above the waterline in my tank as well. They are too small for me tell what they are, but as long as they are harmless (I hope), and they don't jump out of the tank, then I can live with them...

·
Registered
41 Posts
VR4, sounds like daphnia to me...are they clear bodied or dark?
did anyone recognize any of the pictures on that site?

V

·
0 Posts
VR4, sounds like daphnia to me...are they clear bodied or dark?
did anyone recognize any of the pictures on that site?
Tiny ones, i can't even tell what color and as they get a little bigger approx. 1mm or smaller they're orange?
They're on the surface of the water and jump

1 - 15 of 15 Posts