British Columbia Aquarium Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have about 100 or so young fish I'd like to take out from a 250gal.

I remember trying to net the 2 parents out and it took me an hour each to catch them.

Any tips on how to catch them?

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
Depending on the size of the fish.

for Gupies and neons, I use a 1 inch clear syphon hose to suck them into another container.

As Charels said remove hiding places and objects

I have even drained 2/3 of the water and use a piece of plastic/wood/cardoard cut to the width ot the tank to drag across the bottom to corral/contain the fish in a smaller area

·
Registered
749 Posts
I turn the room and tank lights off for about an hour and use a small flashlight to see them. I can usually get them before they wake up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have about 100 half inch baby convicts and a 16inch arowana.

Will try the cardboard/plastic trick next water change.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
When I had my 400, I used to have to drain the tank down. Also, as the other poster said, fish are pretty groggy/slow when its been dark for a while. I've been able to scoop up fish with that sneak attack method. LOL.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I read recently about an ingenious method but can't remember where. Basically it was a fish trap made from a water bottle. Cut the top part of the neck and invert it into the lower part. Make sure the hole is only large enough for the small fish to get into. Put some food in the bottom of the bottle so the small fish are interested in getting to it. There was more discussion but you'll have to look for it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are youtube videos that show the method cgjedi mentioned. Not sure how effective they will be to get out 100 juvies though. I'd lower the water and use big nets. A second set of hands with two more nets will make it way easier. I recently helped a friend to catch juvies in a 180g. We used 4 nets and had them out in no time. Can you temporarily rehome the Arowana?

·
Super Moderator
2,108 Posts
I have also used panels of sheer/netting curtain material

starting from one end submerse it while holding it the width of the tank along the bottom like a dragnet

leave it on the bottom and put some sinking food on the center at night and lift it from the 4 corners after an hour our so

1 - 11 of 11 Posts