Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Nope, they'd be an expensive snack

Votes: 11 47.8%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 12 amanos residig in my 10g QT tank. They were bought with the idea that they would go into my planted discus tank. But seeing their size when i got them I have been hesitating to add them to the tank. The tank is fairly heavily planted with some bigger pieces of driftwood and some rocks. My tank right now is home to:

4 - discus (1 @ 3", 3 @ +5")
8 - rummynose
4 - harlequin rasboras
2 - sterbia cory
4 - calico BN's
2 - L201's
3 - GBR

I was thinking that dropping the amanos in later at night after the fish are 'sleeping' so they aren't seen as food would be a good idea. So, my question is this, would they make it or become an expensive snack?

Please post a reason for the way you vote. Thanks

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to take a picture and post it. Maybe if I have enough time tonight after assembling the stand for hoolagal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How big are your amanos? I know Richard mentioned somewhere a while back that adult amanos are too big for GBRs. Don't know about the discus though.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The amanos are about 1" in length, some a bit bigger. I got these guys from Mykiss through Charles. Not adults yet I don't think. This is the first time I have had shrimp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have amanos with angels. Once and a while the will chase one but they never catch up to it! No Discus experience though.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have amanos with angels. Once and a while the will chase one but they never catch up to it! No Discus experience though.
They are pretty fast swimmers. I love watching them just appear when i drop in some sinking pellets.

·
Registered
90 Posts
sounds like they'll be a snack... but then again you never know if they got lots of hiding places.

I know someone that has a small convict cichlid in a piranha tank. It's been in ther for months and has turned in to a bully nipping at the tails of then much much larger piranhas and darting away to hide before they can even turn around!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's a shot of my tank. There is a number of hiding spots. Any more opinions on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
Here's a shot of my tank. There is a number of hiding spots. Any more opinions on this?
Some will definitely survive short term. Long term it's a bit questionable. Where the plants are densest, the shrimp will congregate. If you have some moss in there it would help. Unfortunately moss is a detritus trap, so you may not want that in a discus tank (I threw it all out in my 125 for that reason - it was always full of pleco and cichlid poop).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is some moss, but not a lot of it. And yeah, it does catch everything.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I voted NO. The slow ones will be snack. Only the fastest and strongest ones will survive!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I voted NO. The slow ones will be snack. Only the fastest and strongest ones will survive!
Yeah, I am beginning to think they will be going into the 15g I am doing for my desk at work. Still, would be neat to see them in the big tank.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have amanos in a fairly bare tank with rams. No problem. Might depend on the appetite of your rams specifically tho.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts