Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Nope, leave it alone

Votes: 7 41.2%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on the plans for my new 90 gallon tank. I want the inside of the tank to look very clean, no hoses or cords visible. So, chatting with Gary (2wheelsx2) he gave me the idea of drilling the tank.

I am planning 1 or 2-XP3 for this tank. But I have never drilled or plumbed a tank before. I also have never used XP3's before. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

I am sure I can get access to a glass drill bit. I would just need to know hole size, and what bulkheads I would need. I also need to work out the hole locations, 2 outlets, 2 inlets.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
This is just personal opinion!
I personally have absolutely no experience with drilling, and definitely some equipment bugs me because it's hanging out, but I wouldn't want to drill it since it's irreversible (same reason I don't have a tatoo, LOL) and if you're going sump... I just can't possibly imagine another chance of having a flood, and hate any noise coming!
I would definitely go XP3, I own one and am using one, absolutely silent inside my cabinet and gives out a great flow.
As for the equipment wise, I have the smart heater that goes in the intake and acts as a strainer, and I painted the background black, therefore you can't really see it except the light, the black on black just blends right in! =)

But I'm definitely sure others would say go sump, if I had the experience, I might too, just cuz it also adds water volume! =) but then again.. i'm not that smart! LOL!

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
If you have yet to read through my journal, i am done all my drilling and plumbing , so it may offer you some ideas/advice, i never drilled my tank so i cannot offer support there, i prefer to have the pro's do it.

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/tank...ads-starphire-loc-line-updated-july-9-a-2668/

I will update the pics on my journal tonight so i can show you exactly how the plumbing all fit in to the xp3 i am using.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Obviously make sure that the tank isn't made of tempered glass.

It makes things look really neat and tidy. You have more plumbing options as well as you can easily plumb in UV sterlizers and CO2 reactors if you like. Even make an easy way to do water changes by making a drain valve.

Your returns could also be done with loc-line so your returns will look nice and tidy.

*edit* I have drilled tanks before and it is super easy as long as you are patient.

·
Dark Lord Owner
2,235 Posts
But I'm definitely sure others would say go sump, if I had the experience, I might too, just cuz it also adds water volume! =) but then again.. i'm not that smart! LOL!
There is sump and there is a closed loop system , 2 different things

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't planning on a sump. Worried about the noise as the tank will be in our family room.

I checked out your thread Shawn, but the pictures don't seem to work on my computer at work. Will look again at home. Thanks for the link.

I like the look of loc-line fittings so I will most likely go that way if I decide to drill it. As for patience, I do have quite a bit so I think I will see about drilling it myself. Thanks

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
This is just personal opinion!
I personally have absolutely no experience with drilling, and definitely some equipment bugs me because it's hanging out, but I wouldn't want to drill it since it's irreversible (same reason I don't have a tatoo, LOL)
Jackson, it's totally reversible, just like tattoos and lasers. :D You just cap them. If it's in the back, not visible.

And Daniel, you already know my vote! :D

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jackson, now you have me thinking that sumping it would be kinda neat. Great, more decisions to make.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, I am. A sump is looking more and more attractive. Build a center overflow out of glass. Another fun project.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Jackson, it's totally reversible, just like tattoos and lasers. :D You just cap them. If it's in the back, not visible.

And Daniel, you already know my vote! :D
Oh... well then.. can I take my vote back? LOL!

DRILL AnD GO SUmp!!! :rolleyes: I rather have those extra gallons1
Imagine the possibilities =)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I am thinking now. Can't wait to get home and see if I can determine whether my tank is tempered or not.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, its all a moot point now. Right on the bottom of the tank. Big stciker. Do Not Drill Enclosure. Damn, guess the sump waits for a different tank.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can still drill the back? It doesn't say do not drill bottom, it says enclosure. I took that to mean all panes.

I think all you need to make the durso work out the back is an extra elbow in the piping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Like Nick said, I would for sure get the tank drilled but I'd also leave it to the pro's to do it for me.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems overkill to me as well. Well, I will take another look at it later and see if I can make a decision.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have one of those safety siphons for water changes. I now need to figure out what to do for the filtration

1 - 20 of 25 Posts